KOHLER COURAGE SV725 WHITE SMOKE WON'T RUN

welldone

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried to start my cub cadet and it blew excessive white smoke and would not keep running. it appears that the oil is thin and smells like gas may be present. signs of oil at exhaust oil drops from some location at exhaust area. The gas is about 50 days old. the mower ran ok the lost time i used to so days ago. The mower is 6 years old over 300 hours. What may be wrong ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The float valve in the carb has leaked fuel which runs out of the breather hole in the carb, through the manifold then pools in the cylinder where it wicks past the rings and accumulates in the sump which both thins the oil and raises the oil level.
SO when you try & use the mower the thin oil gets past the rings and into the exhaust.
Also because the crankcase is not 1/2 full excess oil / fuel mix flows through the breather.
Drain the oil and replace it with cheap supermarket oil , run the engine for a few minutes then repeat till all of the cheap oil is used up.
Replace the oil filter at this stage
Replace this oil with good mower oil.
Change this oil after the next 5 hours or so and replace the oil filter again.
Remove the carburettor and clean it .
You will find instructions and pictures on www.outdoorequipment .
You will most likely need to replace the float needle.

Buy an inline fuel tap and install it somewhere between the fuel pump & fuel tank so you can turn the fuel off when you have finished mowing and also when you need to work on the carb or replace the fuel filter.

You might also see some oil dripping from the fuel pump.
Usually this will clean itself out in an hour or so.

If the engine hydro locked when you first tried to start it you may also have blown the head gasket ( very common ) so after the first oil change, turn the engine off and wait about 1 minute then remove the dip stick.
If "smokey" fumes come out then the head gasket is also gone & will need replacing

welldone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. Lots of info
I will start on this next week.