Can't remove stuck nuts from blade - and ball bearings?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Can't remove stuck nuts from blade - and ball bearings?
Bert, worked for a guy at a mower shops years ago, and one of the customers had a Ferris rider. The blade bolts went from the bottom all the way through the center with a nut on top of the pulley. We would put the nut on with our fingers, and it would take an inch impact rated at 1600 pounds to remove the nuts after just a few mowing jobs.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can believe that,.
All blade fasteners go on with a tension wrench so I know they are on right, no exceptions.
And yet I am regularly hitting them with the air chisel to cut the head off a few months latter.
Started off with one of the air kits like you get from HF or Lowes then realised it was not going to cut the mustard so spent big on the biggest 1/2" I could buy.
Got a 1" as well but need to hook up the new compressor & 2000 l reciever to use it.
We use the 1" on the farm hooked up to a jack hammer compressor modified to run 200 psi and even that did not remove some nuts.
So off they come & bill the customer for a nice shiny new nut.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some of the newer mowers are set up with a spline-type spindle and blade system so that the blades won't "auto tighter" with use or if you hit something.

JackShaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you all for your great suggestions.

I finally got them off. I took the mower deck to the mechanic, and he had a compressor the size of a small car, and an impact wrench the size of a dwarf. They finally came off.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you all for your great suggestions.

I finally got them off. I took the mower deck to the mechanic, and he had a compressor the size of a small car, and an impact wrench the size of a dwarf. They finally came off.

GOOD-THING,... cause we were gettin ready to call THE-HULK !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Couple thoughts after your success. Lubricating the nut/shaft and using the recommended torque results in up to a 25% over- tightening. If the nut is pointing downward almost all of the penetrant oil is dripping off and not getting to the thread area. If the deck is off and nut pointing upwards little pools of the penetrant are available to flow into the little openings you make as you either tap with a soft hammer or use a low setting on an air hammer. Although frustrating, a couple days of tapping and penetrant seem to work. :2cents: