2002 Troy-Bilt Riding Mower

GovtMule66

Threads
Good Afternoon Everyone.

Recently my Dad purchased a 2nd hand 2002 Troy-Bilt Riding Mower (Model #13CX609G063) as a backup mower for our small farm. The mower he purchased had been left setting outside for several years until my Dad rescued it and now my Dad and I have worked this winter replacing the deck spindles, belts and done mostly cosmetic work to it. The mower has a 18 hp Briggs & Stratton Engine on it and after some cleaning of fuel lines & the carb the engine runs great again as well.

My question for anyone who has owned one of these or worked on one is...When you let up on the gas pedal on this mower it comes to a dead stop...Not even a little coasting but a dead stop. When you go to depress the gas to go forward it's more of a sudden jerk forward then it smooths out and runs fine until you let off the gas and then it's the dead stop. The issue has nothing to do with the brakes because you can put the mower in neutral and it will roll fine.

Is this normal for a Troy-Bilt Pedal Drive?

This is the first Troy-Bilt mower I have been around so I am not sure if this is normal or not. The John Deere we own with the Hydrostatic gas pedal is nothing like this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m betting the variable speed drive pulley is rusted and not being allowed to travel smoothly. It is mounted on the frame, back left side. Not easy to get at, bolts are located behind the left wheel.

GovtMule66

Threads
Thank You Rivets for your reply...I am familiar with the variable speed pulley that you are referring to.

We had to loosen those bolts behind the wheel in order to get the belt on so I will take it back off and clean the part to see if that helps.

I sure hope it makes it smoother then it is now ....You sure don't need a brake pedal to stop the way it is now.

Thanks once again