John Deere Z445 Ignition Problem

screamingeagle

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Z445-48c mower with a 25hp Kawasaki and it is not firing like it should on the rear plug just once in a while. Now the first thing i done was clean the plug & re gaped it to 0.30, that didn't help so next I switched the plugs and the story was the same, so i figured the plug wasn't the problem. (note when the engine is running the rear plug will hit every now and then). So my theory is a bad connection or bad ignition coil or even maybe the air gap. I would appreciate any help or advice whether I am on the right track or not. Thanks

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our John Deere section to see if we can find you an answer.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The ignition coil is self energizing.
It is stopped by grounding the coil.
So either one coil is bad or the wire to the coil are bad.
Test by removing the wire to the coil ( or both coils ).
Do not use the mower in this condition.
If the miss goes away then the wiring is at fault and in particular the wire that joins the 2 coils together.
If it stays then it is either the coil itself or a problem with a valve/cam

screamingeagle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just to let you know Bert, I purchased a new coil and while waiting for it to ship I inspected the old coil real close and didn't notice anything that would indicate the reason it quit?, So on a hunch I cut the end of the wire off next to the plug in and found the wire was crystallized, So i cut about and inch off the end of the wire where it was good again and spliced another end on it and the thing fired like a new one, Wonder how many coils have been replaced when the wire was the culprit. Thanks Bert

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just to let you know Bert, I purchased a new coil and while waiting for it to ship I inspected the old coil real close and didn't notice anything that would indicate the reason it quit?, So on a hunch I cut the end of the wire off next to the plug in and found the wire was crystallized, So i cut about and inch off the end of the wire where it was good again and spliced another end on it and the thing fired like a new one, Wonder how many coils have been replaced when the wire was the culprit. Thanks Bert

Good to hear you had a good result and thanks for posting the final outcome.
It makes the post valuable for those who like to browse to find a solution to their problems.

ReichpoloTech

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Z445-48c mower with a 25hp Kawasaki and it is not firing like it should on the rear plug just once in a while. Now the first thing i done was clean the plug & re gaped it to 0.30, that didn't help so next I switched the plugs and the story was the same, so i figured the plug wasn't the problem. (note when the engine is running the rear plug will hit every now and then). So my theory is a bad connection or bad ignition coil or even maybe the air gap. I would appreciate any help or advice whether I am on the right track or not. Thanks

Here is one way to check your ignition coil.

While running pull one spark plug wire off and and see if the engine still runs. If is dies, then the cylinder on the opposite side is not firing and may be the ignition coil on that side. If it continues to run, then the side you pulled contains the problem.