Updated Honda Mowers for 2018

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Honda is in the process of updating our popular HRR and HRS models with the latest versions. Most of the changes are just cosmetic, while some get a little nicer hardware.

Let's get started!

The value-priced HRS models (version K6) get the following updates:

• VKA “Smart Drive” model introduced and replaces SKA model.
• VKA model uses variable speed transmission and replaces single-speed transmission.
• Cutting height changed to 1 in.~3.5 in. 1 1/8 in.~4 in. (same as HRR)
• Quick release 2-position handle applied.
• Textured mower deck paint.
• Color changed to Emboss Bright Gray Metallic (NH-B67M)
• Tire tread changed to improve traction.
• Wheel hub color changed to Vintage Gray (NH-462R)
• Texture (grain) finish applied to wheel hubs.
• One piece (HRR style) rear handle stay and height adjuster panels.
• New front mower deck decal.

HRS216PKA (push model, side-discharge, mulching single-blade):

HRS216VKA (push model, side-discharge, mulching single-blade):

HRR Series:
New HRR models are at version K10, and get the following:

• Textured mower deck paint.
• Color changed from Rose Champagne to Emboss Bright Gray Metallic (NH-B67M)
• Tire tread changed to improve traction.
• Wheel hub color changed to Vintage Gray (NH-462R)
• One piece rear handle stay and height adjuster panels.
• New front mower deck decal.

HRR216PKA (push, bag, twin-blade mulch, Clip Director):

HRR216VKA (SmartDrive, bag, twin-blade mulch, Clip Director, Roto-Stop Blade Clutch):

HRR216VYA (SmartDrive, bag, twin-blade mulch, Clip Director):

HRR216VLA (SmartDrive, bag, twin-blade mulch, Clip Director, Electric Start):

Note: The HRX and Commercial HRC models are unchanged for 2018.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
EXTREMELY nice display there Robert ! Hope Honda is compensating you for the great work you do !! ..:thumbsup:..:thumbsup:..:thumbsup:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
EXTREMELY nice display there Robert ! Hope Honda is compensating you for the great work you do !! ..:thumbsup:..:thumbsup:..:thumbsup:

Thanks! I have some great source material, and the formatting/linking options here make it easy.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a slightly different note.
Assuming you get to have lunch with some of the engineers & designers
Can you explain why a push mower has 4 independent wheel height adjusters.
Coming from Australia where we pioneered single lever height adjustment I can not see why you would need to do this apart to compensate for a warped deck.
I can understand having independent front & back which could be used to alter the attack angle of the blades so you could front or back cut but I can see no circumstances where you would need to change the height left - right.
The Hondas we get down here mostly have 1 lever height adjustment.

primerbulb120

Threads
From my perspective, one lever taking the stress of all four wheels is more likely to break.

In addition, I imagine it has something to do with ease or manufacturing and assembly.

cashman

Threads
I wish I had a picture of a 1950's Huffy deluxe walk behind. They had a single lever height adjuster system called "Height-a-Matic". Another interesting feature they had was the handle was anchored in the center of the deck allowing you to push the mower in either direction without having to turn around at the end of the mowing row. The magnesium deck had two discharge outlets, one at the front and another at the rear.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
On a slightly different note.
Assuming you get to have lunch with some of the engineers & designers
Can you explain why a push mower has 4 independent wheel height adjusters.
Coming from Australia where we pioneered single lever height adjustment I can not see why you would need to do this apart to compensate for a warped deck.
I can understand having independent front & back which could be used to alter the attack angle of the blades so you could front or back cut but I can see no circumstances where you would need to change the height left - right.
The Hondas we get down here mostly have 1 lever height adjustment.

It almost always works out to the planners and marketing teams requesting a single lever adjust, vs. the engineers asking, "okay, if we do this, how many MORE are you going to sell?" With the HRR, we did offer a single lever rear height lever a while back, but it was a bit clunky, and did not result in more sales. Since having individual adjusters for each wheel were significantly lower cost, Honda reverted back to that design. Bottom line: If it does not increase sales, not worth the cost to implement.

jp1961

Threads
I think the moral to the story is, you can have a bean counter run your company or an engineer, which is better?

Lets look at history, a bean counter ran GM for a LONG time, what happened to them?

An engineer ran VW for a long time what happened to them?

Regards

Jeff