K321AS Carb

hrdman2luv

Threads
Need a new carb for this JD 140. The new ones online seem cheap enough. (Less the $20) The one that's on it (Walbro) has both air and fuel adj. on the side. The new one's on line as one on the side and one on the very top?
Also most of them (new ones) have a nipple on the top of the throttle arm. The one on this one, doesn't.

Wrong carb? or just different design?

One carb I found, that had the air and fuel mix screws on the side, was over $200.

cashman

Threads
Some of the older Kohler K series carbs used a ball and socket arraignment on the throttle linkage between the throttle shaft and the governor arm. The newer Walbro carbs used a 90 degree bend with plastic retainers on each end of the throttle linkage. See if the carbs you are looking at to replace your old one has the throttle shaft and the plastic retainers supplied with it or you might be able to use your current throttle shaft by removing the ball on the throttle shaft from the new carb?

hrdman2luv

Threads
From what I can tell, the carb seems to be flooding. Tiny drops of gas spitting out. Won't usually run for more than 30 seconds. Lost of back firing. As far as I can tell, the timing is spot on. Although, and old paint mark on the flywheel is the only mark I can really see. (no timing light)
When I turn the gas mix screw, as it's dying, I can somewhat keep it running. Or just by throttling it up and down. Even works when I turn the air mix screw sometimes. Any alteration of those three, will keep it from dying (when it's trying to die)

Took the bowl, float and needle off yesterday. It did have a some dirt in the bowl. Cleaned the bowl. Run some small copper wires up through the seat. (all without taking the carb off) Put it back together, and there was no change in the way it ran.

Points are set at .20 and are clean.

So I'm guessing it's the carb. Gonna take it off & apart and see if I can see anything before I buy a new one.

hrdman2luv

Threads
New needle in the carb. Had to adjust the float to sit level. Cleaned the carb good. Put it all back on, and it's still doing the same thing. back firing, spitting fuel out of the carb. Running like crap.
Spark plug was coated with black carbon.