TC SS4260 mower deck bearings growling

need-for-speed

Threads
Well, since they were not "grease-able" I figured they would not last that long. I've had it for 6 years. As soon as I engage the mower, there's a lot of growling /rumbling. I assume its the bearings /spindles that drive the blades - whatever the right name is.

Anyone replace these?

Lawn Addict
Threads
How many hours on yours ? My TC 4260 has 84 hours & quiet, @ 3.5 yrs old.

But you could easily remove the deck, & check each spindle & each pulley by hand rotating each separately for noise & or excessive looseness.

The decks come off very simply & doing so un-hooks the deck belt. It's described in the owners manual or Youtube.

Deck removal: Lower deck to lowest setting, remove front connection point at deck. Let it on the ground, gently push deck back towards rear of machine so the 2 rear lift hooks unhook off the lift bar, the deck belt will loosen (Pay attention to where the belt goes for re-assembly) & remove it from machine.

Then check each (one at a time) by spinning each by hand & listening. The guilty party should be revealed. Replacing either a spindle or a pulley will be pretty much common sense then.

Good luck & Keep us posted to what you find.

Last edited:

need-for-speed

Threads

But you could easily remove the deck, & check each spindle & each pulley by hand rotating each separately for noise & or excessive looseness.

The decks come off very simply & doing so un-hooks the deck belt. It's described in the owners manual or Youtube.

Deck removal: Lower deck to lowest setting, remove front connection point at deck. Let it on the ground, gently push deck back towards rear of machine so the 2 rear lift hooks unhook off the lift bar, the deck belt will loosen (Pay attention to where the belt goes for re-assembly) & remove it from machine.

Then check each (one at a time) by spinning each by hand & listening. The guilty party should be revealed. Replacing either a spindle or a pulley will be pretty much common sense then.

thanks. they have approx. 160 hours....

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's not a lot of hours. I hope you're not using the deck washout port. Bad idea to equip a mower with one and worse idea to use it IMO.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Put two lengths of 2 x 4 , flat side down under the deck about 6' to 8' long.
Drop the deck to the lowest setting and proceed as above.
The deck will then slide out on the 2 x 4's very easily.
Check the blade by grabbing them on the ends then try to rock them see saw motion.
Any movement = new spindle bearings.
Check all of the other idler pulleys on the deck as well.
Any noise or roughness = new pulleys as the bearings are not readily replaceable and most are double row so not readily available.

To remove the drive pulleys & Blades an impact gun is your best friend.
Take the pulley nut off first because you can hold the shaft with the blade.
then the blade nut off again holding the blade.

need-for-speed

Threads
That's not a lot of hours. I hope you're not using the deck washout port. Bad idea to equip a mower with one and worse idea to use it IMO.

no sir. I just use a leaf blower to clean it off..

need-for-speed

Threads
Put two lengths of 2 x 4 , flat side down under the deck about 6' to 8' long.
Drop the deck to the lowest setting and proceed as above.
The deck will then slide out on the 2 x 4's very easily.
Check the blade by grabbing them on the ends then try to rock them see saw motion.
Any movement = new spindle bearings.
Check all of the other idler pulleys on the deck as well.
Any noise or roughness = new pulleys as the bearings are not readily replaceable and most are double row so not readily available.

To remove the drive pulleys & Blades an impact gun is your best friend.
Take the pulley nut off first because you can hold the shaft with the blade.
then the blade nut off again holding the blade.

Great info. I didn't even consider the pulleys. I will remove the deck and insect everything, including pulleys. I have removed the deck once before when I installed the mulching kit. Great idea with the 2 X 4 's - that will make it easier.

Thanks !

Lawn Addict
Threads
As previously posted, best to check every one w/deck off. As well as checking the deck belt for any cracks or frays etc.

And after re-installing it, good idea to check deck for level & proper slope to front, (of course with correct tire pressures first).

Curious what you find as the problem.

need-for-speed

Threads
As previously posted, best to check every one w/deck off. As well as checking the deck belt for any cracks or frays etc.

And after re-installing it, good idea to check deck for level & proper slope to front, (of course with correct tire pressures first).

Curious what you find as the problem.

Thank you. Will be tacking it very soon. I will get back to y'all.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you. Will be tacking it very soon. I will get back to y'all.

When you put in your new bearings why don't you remove the inner bearing seals and then drill and tap your spindle housing and install your own grease fittings. Just be careful if you do this that you don't over grease them.