Ponly model-Electrical funnies

Piney

Forum Newbie
Threads
Late model Pony

Ran all day. stopped overnight. Went to start and wouldnt turn over. Put battery on charger for the day.

Tried to start-- Clicking/buzzing from solenoid (under seat/battery). Tried jumping off truck battery--same.
Replaced solenoid. Same symptoms

Checked starter-- gear was stuck up in flywheel. I thought AH HA ! Removed, cleaned. Engages/disengages with direct power to starter post.

Hooked battery back up-- noticed spark at terminal. Key off.

Sorry for the long post--

Noticed lights on. Key off. Pulled key connector. LIghts still on. SUddenly, sizzling and smoke from ignition coil. DIsconnected battery.

DIsconnected power from coil (now probably fried....). No connector on key. Lights still on.

WHat am I missing here ? No key connected but power to lights and apparently coil.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the power wire going from the battery to the key switch, you’ll be looking for a frayed wire causing a short. If you need more help post the engine and units model and serial numbers, so we have a idea of what you are worked no on. Remember, we are not standing beside you and our vision from this far away is very blurry. Help us help you.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wait...the lights are on with the battery disconnected? You have a poltergeist!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to mtd.com/parts and type in your model number. You should be able to find the wiring diagram under the photos and features. This should help you find a short. I agree, there is NO way for the lights to be on it you disconnected the battery. From experience, when troubleshooting electrical problems, NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING. From your posts, I have a feeling that you may be going a little too fast, to solve the problem. Double check what you have told us so far and please post the engine numbers as I asked before. I’m not standing next to you, so everything helps me compose a better picture of what you are looking at.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Didn't connect something incorrectly when you replaced the solenoid, or install the battery connections reversed. Other than that wonder would have to be a short someplace in the wiring.