New Scag ZTR

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Alot of support for the Kawasaki engine!

Why choose the Kawa over the Kohler?

I nave three Tiger Cats with Kawasaki engines on them. Have not looked at the clocks on them in a while since obviously we are not running much in Jan but one has around 1700 hours, one has around or over 1000 hours on it and one is clocking around 700 to 800. All have Kawasaki motors on them. All are 52" decks.

When we are running flat out in the Summer time we run two normally daily and on some days we run three of them. "IN MY PERSONAL OPINION" The 52" deck will out cut the 61" decks (IN TALL STEMMED GRASS LIKE BAHIA). We have demonstrated Turf Tigers with 61" decks on more than one occasion. The 61" is obviously wider and obviously will cover more ground but for some reason on the ones we ran it would not cut that tall stemmed grass as clean, with as much ground speed. "Personal Observation obviously."

I have never seen personally a Kawasaki engine that had catastrophic failure. I have seen several Kohlers that have. That is why I went with Kawasaki and have never looked back.

As much grass as my crew cuts I could run any mower out there and I personally do not know of anything that I would trade my Scag Tiger Cats for.

Hope that helps.

Sweats

Threads
Bought a TCII, 61" deck, Kohler 29hp engine last April (2017). Mowed about 5 acres weekly on varying terrain. Had a bum fuel pump replaced. Otherwise, the mower's been an absolute beast. I'm looking forward to this year's mowing season if I can wrestle the mower from my boy. It's the only chore he actually likes. Can't compare the Kohler to a Kawi; never had one. I'm sure they're fine. I've only used B&S and Kohler (just sort of happened that way) and have never had a problem with any of them.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bought a TCII, 61" deck, Kohler 29hp engine last April (2017). Mowed about 5 acres weekly on varying terrain. Had a bum fuel pump replaced. Otherwise, the mower's been an absolute beast. I'm looking forward to this year's mowing season if I can wrestle the mower from my boy. It's the only chore he actually likes. Can't compare the Kohler to a Kawi; never had one. I'm sure they're fine. I've only used B&S and Kohler (just sort of happened that way) and have never had a problem with any of them.

I have seen several Kohlers that made a couple of years with no problems. Usually the ones that I saw that had problems went after just a few hundred hours and they started out using oil. Kohler engines of today are not the engines of years ago. I know of several in our area that have had major problems.