Hello everyone, my first post.

gotomow

Threads
New member here. I see a vast knowledge base on the forum so I can't wait to get started. I've got a fairly big yard, just over 1/3 acre with plenty of mature trees. Right now I'm using a Honda HRX217VKA and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Last fall when I got out my Craftsman leaf vacuum I compared it to the Honda and the Honda shredded the leaves just as good and moved faster. One downside to the Honda however, is that as the cooler temps set in it took several pulls to get it restarted. Kind of wish I'd bought the 217VLA electric, but I'd read stuff about the on board battery issues. I guess the 217VYA with Roto stop is an option also. So here's my thinking:

Get rid of the 217VKA and the leaf vacuum and get a 217VLA or 217VYA.
Get rid of the 217VKA and the leaf vacuum and get a Toro Timemaster for my large yard and save some much needed time.

I looked at the Timemaster 2 years ago when I bought the Honda but with my sloped yard I was concerned that the engine power would bog going up the hill. Now that Toro bumped up the power it's time to take a very hard look. I also like that Toro keeps improving the Timemaster's issues for increased reliability. I'd also give the Timemaster an edge as it has the non-clutch blade break unlike the Honda's Roto-stop.

So what's everyone think? Will brand loyalty win out? Oh, and thanks for reading!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME !!
welcome w.jpg

No matter what WE decide, YOU !! have to live with it !! ..:laughing:..:laughing::laughing:..:laughing:
Seriously, you'll probably get some helpful opinions here !

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our buying and pricing section.
Hopefully, we can find you some advice over there :smile:

gotomow

Threads
Honda VS Toro slugfest

Thanks to those who replied so far. Title change, maybe that will spur interest lol.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The first thing I would check is the price of a new carb. In many cases they are so cheap, it’s well worth a try. Personally your Honda is a good unit and I don’t think going to an electric start unit is going to solve your problem in the long run. If you really want to upgrade the new Timemaster is a very good unit and should work well for you. Before someone else chimes in I must say that I am a Toro guy, so might be a little biased. If it was me, I would try a new carb first, before replacing the unit.

gotomow

Threads
Thanks Rivets, yes I'll check on the price of the carb but I'm wondering if the Honda guys will chime in and tell me if the auto choke system itself is doing the hard starting when the weather gets cold. Our leaves fell late and I was out there with gloves and winter hat! I'm leaning hard towards the Toro because it lets me get done faster.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't think I'd be swapping mowers just because mine takes several pulls to start. I suggest you make sure that the choke is closing ALL THE WAY. Staying open just a tiny bit can make a big difference in cold starts. Or just store it somewhere warm if possible.

gotomow

Threads
I don't think I'd be swapping mowers just because mine takes several pulls to start. I suggest you make sure that the choke is closing ALL THE WAY. Staying open just a tiny bit can make a big difference in cold starts. Or just store it somewhere warm if possible.

Hi Darryl thanks for the reply. I guess I should have gone into more detail on my first post. My biggest issue is that in fall I have a ton of leaves and this fall a lot fell late in the season. So I'm shutting off the mower, emptying the bag and then re-starting maybe 12-15 times when I'm out. So if I need 2-4 pulls times 15 re-starts that gets old fast.
I'm frustrated because it's only when it's cold out that this happens. And as this happens I also get super busy at work so yikes I'm not a happy camper! In spring I'll shut it off to empty or pick up some sticks and this does not happen. I guess I'm kicking myself for not spending the extra money for roto-stop or electric start.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah makes perfect sense now. That would be annoying. The starting problem could possibly be resolved though.

gotomow

Threads
Yeah makes perfect sense now. That would be annoying. The starting problem could possibly be resolved though.

Yeah I hoping some Honda owners have a fix or could at least tell me if they have the same thing happening. I'm not sure if this issue is a Honda auto-choke acting normal or not. I guess closer to spring I will pop over and talk with the Honda techs at the dealership I bought from. Somethings got to give though I'm not doing that again. Believe me, my wife and I talked over the other options and getting another walk behind mower is way cheaper than a nice riding mower or cutting some trees down or contracting a lawn service.