Stihl blowers my experience BG55, BG86C, BR200

Robshonda

Threads
Thought I would post this for anyones benefit. I have owned the BG55, BG86 and now BR200 blowers.
I just got the BR200 used this weekend. I cleaned it up, dumped the old gas out, put in non-ethanol gas, Stihl HP Ultra and used it for about an hour.
I have much experience with the BG55, BG86C blowers. I was looking at the BR450 and BR600 blowers but they weigh about 25lbs and cost $450-500.
Way overkill for my leaf cleanup needs. I saw the BR200 at a couple dealers and they always steered me away from it.
I found a great deal on a used one this weekend so I bought it. Stihl dealers will not fuel one up for a test until you buy it so this was my best option.
If I did not like it I would sell it. First let me say the BG55 is a great blower for the homeowner at a great price. The BG86C is the commercial version of it with the stratified charge engine and a little more power.
A homeowner or even a commercial user would be happy with this one. On to the BG200..Looking at the specs, I was ready to be disappointed, the BG86C puts out 444CFM and this one 400CFM which is about where the BG55 is powerwise. I started up the BR200 and let it warm up and put it on, at 12 lbs its very light. I was able to blow my leaves in 1/2 the time as with the BG86C. Reason was I was not having to switch arms every 20 seconds or so due to fatigue anymore! The BR200 pipe is longer so it was getting closer to the leaves and I was getting plenty of power so it was faster and less strain on my back. Funny I kept leaning towards the right as I did with the BG86c blower! I corrected that and adjusted the trigger handle so it was more comfortable for me. Since the tubes on these are similar to the two part BG blowers I had hoped the gutter cleaning attachment would fit the BR200. It will not, the BR200 tubes are a little bigger than the attachment. I am sure someone can cobble together some kind of adapter but not me. Oh the Youtube videos on the BR200 do not do it justice. Most of the users had really poor technique(moving tube way too fast, pointed wrong, etc). I am not on Youtube and now I am out of leaves so I cant do a video on it. Anyway, you might want to try the BR200 if you need one and your dealer will let you. Hope this helps someone. BTW I also did my neighbors leaves I had done before and it was faster over there too. The owners manual states the power on the BR200 is about 132MPH/406CFM, the website states 150MPH/400CFM so closer to the BG86C at 154MPH/444CFM. Oh I forgot the gas tank is huge on the BR200, twice the size of the BG models.
Rob

Last edited:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just wanted to point out that most handhelds have a provision for a strap. Much better when using for extended periods.

deminin

Threads
After going through a couple of cheap handheld blowers, I bought a Stihl BR 340...backpack blower...perhaps 10 years ago. It has worked Great! I live on 40 acres of heavy forest, and have gobs of trees in the 1/2 acre I keep mowed around the house. The Stihl backpack does a great job of pushing all the leaves to the edge of the yard, every Fall....and with some extra tubing, and a "gutter" nozzle, it keeps the gutters clean and flowing on the house. I much prefer the backpack to a hand held, and like most Stihl products, it is well worth the money.

Robshonda

Threads
Unfortunately Stihl handheld blowers do not have attachment points for a strap, nor could I find one on their website.

snowbelt_subie

Forum Newbie
Threads
i fix stihl and echo equipment. i love the Bg55 and bg86 they are perfect for cleaning grass off the drive way and sidewalks but are not fun for leaf cleanup.

i have never even seen a BR200 come through my garage i dont think there are many out there. IMO if you have more than 1 tree to do leaf clean up on the more power the better. well kept br550 br600's and echo 770's can be had for $200-$300 in my area and they make leaf cleanups way easier.