MTD 604 Deck Spring(s)

webfish

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another new member from New Zealand!

I have snapped a spring on the deck of my MTD 604 model. Model number is 13AV604G671

I have purchased a replacement spring but cannot work out where it goes. Photo below shows the deck with the new (and old) springs sitting on top of a couple of pulleys.

Can one of you smart people advise how to re-assemble? :smile:

MTD IMG_2025.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
One of the connection points is circled in red. You should be looking for a connection that stays out of the belt path and would be like the connection I circled in yellow.
MTD IMG_2025.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Another new member from New Zealand!

I have snapped a spring on the deck of my MTD 604 model. Model number is 13AV604G671

I have purchased a replacement spring but cannot work out where it goes. Photo below shows the deck with the new (and old) springs sitting on top of a couple of pulleys.

Can one of you smart people advise how to re-assemble? :smile:

View attachment 35295

Was that "old" spring laying on the deck when you removed it ?? IF so, it could be the blade engagement lever spring ??

This is exactly why, MANY of us stress, ALWAYS.. take pictures during DIS-assembly, they become your RE-assembly MANUAL ! And very often, even the factory manuals DO-NOT have pictures, or adequate diagrams/illustrations and the parts break-down diagrams are sometimes confusing.

webfish

Forum Newbie
Threads
One of the connection points is circled in red. You should be looking for a connection that stays out of the belt path and would be like the connection I circled in yellow.
View attachment 35297

Thanks, found it.

The other spring is attached via one hole and one pin. This spring is attached with two pins. Was hard for you to see in photo as was partially obscured by a leaf. Circled in orange on the attached pic.

MTD IMG_2025 (1).jpg

Much appreciate your help.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Glad you found it.

webfish

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was that "old" spring laying on the deck when you removed it ?? IF so, it could be the blade engagement lever spring ??

This is exactly why, MANY of us stress, ALWAYS.. take pictures during DIS-assembly, they become your RE-assembly MANUAL ! And very often, even the factory manuals DO-NOT have pictures, or adequate diagrams/illustrations and the parts break-down diagrams are sometimes confusing.

I totally agree, a photo would have made this simple. I've never had the deck off before (recently purchased second hand) so hadn't had a chance. I will clean it up and post a photograph of the assembled deck for future reference.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I totally agree, a photo would have made this simple. I've never had the deck off before (recently purchased second hand) so hadn't had a chance. I will clean it up and post a photograph of the assembled deck for future reference.

Glad you got things in order, yes, a picture does miracles at times, I take way too many for some folks, BUT I save all the "keepers" onto a flash-drive in separated folders, there comes a time when I, or someone else, may need just that certain photo to save the day . Great idea to post YOUR pics, don't be a stranger, take care....... Boobala

webfish

Forum Newbie
Threads
As promised, here is a pic of the re-assembled deck spring - the shiny one obvioiusly. It is attached to two pins rather than one pin and one hole as per the other spring.

Photo also shows belt path if it's any use to others.

cheers

IMG_2041-e.jpg