Troy Bilt 2690 XP (Snow Blower) LED Mods

l008com

Threads
I've been thinking about getting rid of the terrible incandescent bulb on the front of my snow blower and replacing it with an LED light. I was also thinking of taking it a little further and putting some other small amber lights in a few key spots to reduce the odds of me getting my *** run over. But I'm mostly focused on the headlights for now....

From what I understand, I need an AC to DC rectifier, and then any old 12V light should work. But what about wattage? How can I determine how much power the headlight can safely draw?

Anyone know a good source for these components? I know when you google around, you can find what looks like the same lights for as low as $9.99 on ebay or as high as $300 on some fancy websites. I'd also prefer 4500K white, but it seems like almost everything is 6000k blueish white.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
IF my fading memory still serves me right, there were a few members, on I believe it was the Hustler Z forum, a few guys installed them on their mowers, I can't remember the details, but you could search that forum, checking for LED lights, lighting, etc. it was several months back.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
LED's won't melt the snow cause they run cooler so no need for a million watts.
A pair of LED reversing lights will work wonders.
Check the wattage of the existing globes.
While not exactly true, for all practical purposes a Watt is a Watt is a Watt.
So if you have 2 x 25 Watt globes then you have 50 Watts to play with.

If you want more light, 4 CREE Leds in series ( 3 volts a piece ).
Lots of car & motorcycle plug in LED globes available, you should even be able to run AC ones ( fridge lamps ).

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Found the guy with the Hustler that installed the lights, ( Hustler forum) member = ( rbsmith 6 ) ..:thumbsup:

l008com

Threads
LED's won't melt the snow cause they run cooler so no need for a million watts.
A pair of LED reversing lights will work wonders.
Check the wattage of the existing globes.
While not exactly true, for all practical purposes a Watt is a Watt is a Watt.
So if you have 2 x 25 Watt globes then you have 50 Watts to play with.

If you want more light, 4 CREE Leds in series ( 3 volts a piece ).
Lots of car & motorcycle plug in LED globes available, you should even be able to run AC ones ( fridge lamps ).

I was thinking something more like this for lights:

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Driv...329021&sr=1-7&keywords=18w+led+off+road+light

One on each side would be nice, if I have 40w available. If not, I'd like a 9w on each side but they don't make lots of those in the mounting style I'd need so I may end up with just one of the light above.

l008com

Threads
Found the guy with the Hustler that installed the lights, ( Hustler forum) member = ( rbsmith 6 ) ..:thumbsup:

Looks like his mower has a battery, and thus a 12VDC power source. So hooking up LED lights is a much simpler process than something like a blower that only has AC power at 12ish volts or so

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I was thinking something more like this for lights:

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Driv...329021&sr=1-7&keywords=18w+led+off+road+light

One on each side would be nice, if I have 40w available. If not, I'd like a 9w on each side but they don't make lots of those in the mounting style I'd need so I may end up with just one of the light above.

Don't get stuck on the "mine is bigger than yours ' road.
The faster you go the more light you need so only 1 of these lights will be more than enough at slow blowing pace.

Remember you can get enough light to walk by with nothing but the 1 W led in your smart phone.
However if you have an AC only unit you are going to need to fit a battery, LEDS do not like pulsating power sources.

GO down to your local Harley shop and look at the plug in LED globes and LED accessory lights.

I ride a lot of vintage motorcycles and a 12V 6 Ah cyclon battery will power the the lights for around 10 hours between recharges.
SO it might be easier to fit a small sealed battery , some auto / motorcycle lights and simply recharge the battery between uses.
Remember the slower you go the less light you need.