Welcome to the Hustler Forum -- Check in Here First!

RLWithrow

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is a great idea. May I use your idea for my own mower?

You sure can. The guide wheel works great on the ditches I mow on my property, just mowed them today and it works like I hoped it would. Usually the rear end of the mower will drift downhill and I have to stop and have a go at it again to get it mowed. Not any more, mow right along in a straight line without stopping. Hopefully Hustler with send me a check before they incorporate the idea no there new line... I've invented a few other things before and still have more to build and test. I'll sure have fun when I retire in a couple years!

PKYoung

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, My name is Karin, and we currently have several lawnmowers, but are in search for a "new" one. We might not be able to swing it financially this year, but we wanted to start looking around to save up. We have a 15 year old or older John Deere and a 10 year or older Dixie Chopper. Looking for a dependable, easily maintained & serviced mower for general mowing and leaf pick-up. Attachments would be a plus, but realistically not needed at this time. We moved from a larger lot that was park-like - to a farmette and are looking to get into some other projects besides mowing - perhaps goats etc. We already have chickens, and of course gardening.

I saw an ad for the Hustler with the deck that flips up, but I have never heard of the brand.

Raptorman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi.
I am new to the forum. I purchased a Hustler Raptor SD last year and it has operated without any problems. I have 3 to 4 acres of lawn.
Looking forward to getting useful information in the future.

mhavanti

Threads
Raptorman,

Welcome to the forum.

There are a great many folks here that will do their level best to give you good, usable information.

Again, welcome.

Max

Datadave

Threads
Hi.
I am new to the forum. I purchased a Hustler Raptor SD last year and it has operated without any problems.
I have 3 to 4 acres of lawn.
Looking forward to getting useful information in the future.

Welcome Raptorman
Do you have the 54 or 60" deck?
I have the 54" deck on 2 acres and it is perfect.
If I mowed more than 2 acres I would go for the 60".

mhavanti

Threads
Here is a modification that will help your belts last a lot longer and perhaps keep them from derailing the pulleys due to grass build up inside the belt (pulley) guards. If you remove your guards, you'll be surprised at how much build up there is although you're blowing them out after each mowing.

Mine was lodged in and the mower is kept immaculate.

DSC04687.JPGDSC04688.JPG

Chvysb350

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Welcome to the Hustler Forum -- Check in Here First!
Hello, I just purchased a new Hustler Raptor 52". I am upgrading from a 20 year old Craftsman riding mower,(17hp with 46" cut) that had nothing wrong, except that it was ugly and it took 40 acres to turn around.
I run a handyman business and do mow a few yards. Being new to the zero turn mowers, I went for the heavy duty looking Hustler. However I am regretting it. The Hustler doesn't mow half as well as the Craftsman. I believe it is the spindly weeds that most of the yards have. Anyone have any ideas on how to make my new mower work better for me? Any suggestions would be appreciated

djones7598

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good evening (morning) however you look at the time stamp all :) I am a recent new owner of a Hustler SD 54" mower and at this point only have 4.5 hrs under it. I plan to add more this weekend and do my first oil change, as per instructions. I will probably be closer to 6 hrs but I think I will be okay. I have been extremely happy with my new purchase and I am relearning how to mow my lawn from an older 42" tractor style mower, I WILL get better with time. I also want to share a link with everyone that I found here. I am sorry if I am overstepping, but what this gentleman has done has made my mowing much easier and I just wanted to pass this information along to everyone here that may not have seen.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/36513-Hustler-Rapter-sd-54

This gentleman has taken the time to produce a decal that indicates inch measurements instead of letters for deck height adjustment. It works like a charm and is honestly so much easier to read when mowing. I think this is how these mowers, as great as they are, should come from the factory. Maybe someone will find it useful.

I am happy to be apart of the Hustler family and look forward to many years of a wonderful mowing experience.

mhavanti

Threads
Hello, I just purchased a new Hustler Raptor 52". I am upgrading from a 20 year old Craftsman riding mower,(17hp with 46" cut) that had nothing wrong, except that it was ugly and it took 40 acres to turn around.
I run a handyman business and do mow a few yards. Being new to the zero turn mowers, I went for the heavy duty looking Hustler. However I am regretting it. The Hustler doesn't mow half as well as the Craftsman. I believe it is the spindly weeds that most of the yards have. Anyone have any ideas on how to make my new mower work better for me? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Welcome Small Block,

Your blades are most likely sufficiently sharp. However, won't hurt to check them for a really nice, crisp edge. If the edge is sufficient, then you may want to look into a higher lift blade. I mow Hybrid Bermuda which is easily mowed when it is tall. I've began mowing it down to 2 inches this year rather than the 4 inches of last year to get some of the bare spots to fill in and that worked well for covering the bare spots.

Mowing was great in the tall grass however you couldn't allow it to go more than about an inch higher without making some wind rows if you had to mow while pretty wet.

I'm still using my original blades and cut just yesterday, 5/5/17 with one of those extremely wet areas and all the dry areas still did nicely. I'm thinking your blades may not be all that sharp. I received a set of blades for my older lawn tractor and they weren't as sharp as they should be. I ran it over one spot I left purposely from the Hustler to compare the cut. Sharp blades won.

Good luck.

Max

Mr. Mower

Threads
I like this idea! :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting and sharing.

Here is a modification that will help your belts last a lot longer and perhaps keep them from derailing the pulleys due to grass build up inside the belt (pulley) guards. If you remove your guards, you'll be surprised at how much build up there is although you're blowing them out after each mowing.

Mine was lodged in and the mower is kept immaculate.

View attachment 31736View attachment 31737