Kohler CH270 Command Pro 7 Electric Start Flywheel / Stator

bob58p

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler CH270 Command Pro 7 Electric Start Flywheel / Stator
I was afraid that I couldn't connect the output of the coil directly to the battery with no voltage regulator.
My engine will turn 6000 RPMs, not the governed 3600 or 4000 RPM.
I'm not sure the voltage or amperage output I might see at 6000 RPMs, which is why I wasn't sure If I could run directly to the battery.

The Key Box thing I have for the honda clone includes a key switch, a 5 amp - 125/250V AC 32V DC circuit breaker, and an inline fuse. The honda diagrams I see online also have a rectifier/diode in inside the keybox, but I don't see one in the box I have (unless it is inside the actual switch, or on the wire coming out of the box).

The wiring diagram makes it look like the coil goes to a diode/rectifier, then the circuit breaker, then the switch, then the fuse.
Then the other side of the switch goes to the starter solenoid, which is where I also connect the positive battery terminal if I am not mistaken.

Hoping I can just plug the Kohler Stator into the wire on the Honda Clone Key Box thing, then wire it up to the starter and battery as if it was a clone coil.

I will start playing around with this today, hopefully, but it is cold in Chicago.

Attachments

• gx160.jpg
    gx160.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 2

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It does not matter where the diode is, just so long as it is in there and wired in the right direction.
Now if you think you are going to run the engine at 6000 rpm you are in for a shock.
they are not balanced well enough to do those speeds
they are not flowed to handle that volume of gas
the crank is not supported well enough to run those speeds
the crank is most likely not stiff enough to pull those speeds , particularly as it is a Preditor.

Now a Preditor self destructing is no great loss as they are throw away engines but just be wary of what is near the engine as flywheels have been known to shatter on over reved engines.
Also the power of the engine will drop off as revs increase and may very well be less than 1/2 the rated Hp fr the engine.

And if you think I am talking rubbish pop over to the racing mower forums and read some of the disasters that have happened to people who over reved the engines without substantial strengthening.

If you need more revs at whatever you are powering, gear up the engine's PTO.

bob58p

Forum Newbie
Threads
It does not matter where the diode is, just so long as it is in there and wired in the right direction.
Now if you think you are going to run the engine at 6000 rpm you are in for a shock.
the crank is most likely not stiff enough to pull those speeds , particularly as it is a Preditor.

Now a Preditor self destructing is no great loss as they are throw away engines but just be wary of what is near the engine as flywheels have been known to shatter on over reved engines.
Also the power of the engine will drop off as revs increase and may very well be less than 1/2 the rated Hp fr the engine.

And if you think I am talking rubbish pop over to the racing mower forums and read some of the disasters that have happened to people who over reved the engines without substantial strengthening.

I build up Predators. I have used a stock Predator Flywheel for an engine that spins 7000 RPM. On a minibike. Right under my manhood.

Predator Flywheels do not come apart. Show me one and I'll believe it. Otherwise it is just Propaganda spread by OMB.com.
Installed correctly and lapped to the crank, PREDATOR Flywheels do fine at 7k RPM. Stock Connecting Rods are way more likely to let go than the flywheel.

I have been on forums for years, with people who race karts, and nobody has ever witnessed a Predator 212 flywheel explode. Not one person. Everybody says that they do, but find me someone that witnessed it. I'll hold my breath. Big block engines or verticle shaft engines might be different. Predator Flywheels do not explode at 6 or 7k RPM.

Now I have never tried with a flywheel with magnets, so this will be new.

bob58p

Forum Newbie
Threads

I build up Predators. I have used a stock Predator Flywheel for an engine that spins 7000+ RPM. On a minibike. Right under my manhood.

Predator Flywheels do not come apart. Show me one and I'll believe it. Otherwise it is just Propaganda spread by OMB.com.
Installed correctly and lapped to the crank, PREDATOR Flywheels do fine at 7k RPM. Stock Connecting Rods are way more likely to let go than the flywheel.

I have been on forums for years, with people who race karts, and nobody has ever witnessed a Predator 212 flywheel explode. Not one person. Everybody says that they do, but find me someone that witnessed it. I'll hold my breath. Big block engines (390cc or 420cc) or verticle shaft engines might be different. Predator 212 Flywheels do not explode at 6 or 7k RPM.

Now I have never tried with a flywheel with charging magnets, so this will be new.

Stock Crankshafts do fine.
Blocks start to break around 30HP on these 6.5 HP engines.

My heads are usually ported and flow enough to spin 10,000 RPM if I had a camshaft to make power there.

My current engine spins 8500 RPM - using a billet flywheel and makes peak HP around 7k RPM and peak TQ over 4000 RPM.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I build up Predators. I have used a stock Predator Flywheel for an engine that spins 7000+ RPM. On a minibike. Right under my manhood.

I have been on forums for years, with people who race karts, and nobody has ever witnessed a Predator 212 flywheel explode. Not one person. Everybody says that they do, but find me someone that witnessed it. I'll hold my breath. Big block engines (390cc or 420cc) or verticle shaft engines might be different. Predator 212 Flywheels do not explode at 6 or 7k RPM.

Now I have never tried with a flywheel with charging magnets, so this will be new.

Stock Crankshafts do fine.
Blocks start to break around 30HP on these 6.5 HP engines.

My heads are usually ported and flow enough to spin 10,000 RPM if I had a camshaft to make power there.

My current engine spins 8500 RPM - using a billet flywheel and makes peak HP around 7k RPM and peak TQ over 4000 RPM.

No experience with Preditor engines.
Have seen quite a few briggs & kohler let go when owners tried to "make em rev".
Sold quite a few used engines to the said same unfortunates.
Built up a couple of fast Briggs for the local mower racers but there is not much left of the original left by the time get finished .

I play with vintage & veteran motrcycles mainly and have seen countless blow up cause by owners who thought they could get 2000 more rpm out of an engine without rebalancing the engine.
Seen a few spend thousands and end up with less Hp than the stock engine.

If you know what you are dong fine but from the tone of your original posts seemed you were a bit out on a limb.
remember we only know what you tell us and have to make judgements on technical compenticy based upon what we read.