Kohler CH270 Command Pro 7 Electric Start Flywheel / Stator

bob58p

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler CH270 Command Pro 7 Electric Start Flywheel / Stator
I have an Electric Start Kohler flywheel from what I believe was a CH270 Command Pro 7. I think there is a 3 amp charging system such as on CH270-3021 (with 17-025-30-S Flywheel and 17-085-09-S Stator) and a 10 amp charging system such as on CH270-3120 (with 17-025-21-S Flywheel and 17-085-07-S Stator).

The flywheel I have looks like it says TJ208A 170565, but it is hard to read and and those number could easily be wrong.
The other side says 1730024 F, BOD, YP3.

It has a ring gear, three charging magnets on the inside, and one ignition magnet on the outside.

How do I tell if it is a 3 amp, or 10 amp flywheel so I know which stator to order?
Do both the 3 amp and 10 systems output AC and need a rectifier regulator to charge a battery? Which rectifier/regulator would I need? Any 15 amp one should work right?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can't help with flywheel, but it looks like the 3 amp system may contain a diode to rectify the ac to dc, but is unregulated. the 10 amp system uses a rectifier/regulator.

bob58p

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can't help with flywheel, but it looks like the 3 amp system may contain a diode to rectify the ac to dc, but is unregulated. the 10 amp system uses a rectifier/regulator.

Thanks. I'm actually using this flywheel on a Predator 212cc from Harbor Freight. It is a variation of a Honda gx200 clone that uses a crankshaft with the same taper as the Kohler CH270. I bought the a kit with the flywheel, the starter motor, the key box, and it came with a Honda clone coil. The guy I got it from bought an electric start/ charging conversion kit for a 196cc Honda clone engine and then got a Kohler Flywheel.

It just seems as though there are two magnets inside the flywheel on a Honda clone flywheel and three magnets inside this one.
The honda clone 3 amp coil appears to be a single coil with a single wire.
The Kohler 3 amp stator appears to be dual coils?
The Kohler 10 amp stator is of a different type. Star shaped?

Im guessing it is a three amp flywheel and I should use the stator used with the three amp flywheel. Which is the one that looks like two crescent shaped coils wired together. I think often higher amperage charging systems have more magnets inside the flywheel, but I'm just speculating here.

NorthBama

Threads
I am more familiar with the Briggs coils and the size and number of the magnets the more amperage they put out. The one wire coil you have may have the other wire grounded to the engine. the coils produce ac voltage and use a diode or a voltage regulator to change the voltage to dc voltage to charge the battery. the one diode is unregulated and the coil that use the voltage regulator is regulated dc voltage which doesnt overcharge the battery and bubble out the electrolyte solution.

bob58p

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am more familiar with the Briggs coils and the size and number of the magnets the more amperage they put out. The one wire coil you have may have the other wire grounded to the engine. the coils produce ac voltage and use a diode or a voltage regulator to change the voltage to dc voltage to charge the battery. the one diode is unregulated and the coil that use the voltage regulator is regulated dc voltage which doesnt overcharge the battery and bubble out the electrolyte solution.

Thanks.

I was under the impression that coils with a single wire have a diode included? Thus they put out unregulated, but DC, voltage.
And that coils with two wire put out AC Voltage. This was about Honda coils and may not be correct.

I ordered the stator with dual coils 17 085 09-S. I only found one picture of it not in the diagrams. It appears to have a single wire.
How would I wire a coil with a single wire output to a three prong rectifier / regulator?

Coil Output to one of the AC inputs.
Wire the other AC input to the engine block (ground)?
Connect the positive DC output to the positive terminal on the battery?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks.

I was under the impression that coils with a single wire have a diode included? Thus they put out unregulated, but DC, voltage.
And that coils with two wire put out AC Voltage. This was about Honda coils and may not be correct.

I ordered the stator with dual coils 17 085 09-S. I only found one picture of it not in the diagrams. It appears to have a single wire.
How would I wire a coil with a single wire output to a three prong rectifier / regulator?

Coil Output to one of the AC inputs.
Wire the other AC input to the engine block (ground)?
Connect the positive DC output to the positive terminal on the battery?

You need 2 connections for electricity to flow so a single wire system uses the engine as the second ( Ground ) wire.
Honda have a habit of using insulated coils so they have 2 wires from the coil.
This system can still use a diode on either one of the wires.

NorthBama

Threads
And that coils with two wire put out AC Voltage.

your are correct the diode has ac coming in and half wave dc coming out. The 3 prong voltage regulator uses two wire ac in and one dc wire out( positive) and grounded regulator base for dc negative.

bob58p

Forum Newbie
Threads
So If the single wire stator is using the engine block as "ground" for its output,
Can I simply run a jumper wire to the engine block from the second AC input on a three prong rectifier/regulator??? Will the rectifier regulator still work if the input is DC (if there is a diode(s) built into the stator)?

And since the three prong rectifier/regulator is using its mounting as "ground" or "-" for its DC output,
How will that work? Can I have a common ground for both the Coil output and Regulator output? Or will I need to mount the rectifier/regulator to keep it separate from the "ground" the coils use?

Thanks in advance
Bob

Attachments

• 15amp.jpg
    15amp.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 1708509s.jpg
    1708509s.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 3

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why are you trying to make it complicated. the 3 amp single wire stator uses the diode to rectifier it from AC to half wave DC. It will not work with a regulator. Plug the single wire straight into the positive post of the battery, and don't over think it. 3 Amp is about the same as a battery maintainer. It will recharge the battery after starting, and will actually take an hour or two to fully recharge the battery after starting.

I would have to research it for the 10 amp regulator, but I know for a fact that the Kohler 15 amp regulator/rectifier is actually half wave rectified. What you are proposing could either not work, and cause it to drain the battery to creating a short to ground from the stator and letting the smoke out.

NorthBama

Threads
i agree with Ilengine if you need more than 3 amps you will need a coil with matching flywheel and voltage regulator