Welcome to the Stihl Forum -- Check in Here First!

bshwacker

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Welcome to the Stihl Forum -- Check in Here First!
I have a BR 400 backpack blower I bought used 10+ years ago. It has always taken too many pulls to start, but operated very well until now. It has a very weak intermittent spark and sometimes will run briefly. I concluded the coil is bad after replacing plug and checking kill circuit etc so I purchased a new coil from Amazon which is said to be the replacement for 4203 400 1301. It won't even mount in the frame because the secondary is on the bottom left instead of the top center. Other coils that appear to look right have one of the mounting holes too low and would appear to change the angle of the air gap assuming they would mount.
I think I need the original 4203 400 1301, but have not been able to locate it. The only marking on the original are Stihl and 11DA. I hope someone can provide guidance since I couldn't find any from Stihl and I wouldn't want to trash and otherwise much needed tool.

jstpsgthru

Threads
I have a BR 400 backpack blower I bought used 10+ years ago. It has always taken too many pulls to start, but operated very well until now. It has a very weak intermittent spark and sometimes will run briefly. I concluded the coil is bad after replacing plug and checking kill circuit etc so I purchased a new coil from Amazon which is said to be the replacement for 4203 400 1301. It won't even mount in the frame because the secondary is on the bottom left instead of the top center. Other coils that appear to look right have one of the mounting holes too low and would appear to change the angle of the air gap assuming they would mount.
I think I need the original 4203 400 1301, but have not been able to locate it. The only marking on the original are Stihl and 11DA. I hope someone can provide guidance since I couldn't find any from Stihl and I wouldn't want to trash and otherwise much needed tool.

This is why I just bought an Echo chainsaw. BTW, I have a Stihl HL100 hedge trimmer w/chainsaw attachment, and a Yard Boss min-tiller. I rarely use these, so it was out of warranty, but only the tenth use when the starter cable messed up, on the hedge trimmer. I purchased the part from Stihl. The installation, without instructions (they don't have manuals, you tube videos or any kind of DIY help,) went wrong. I wound up having to have the dealer finish the job. They have a minimum of 1 hr labor, which costs as much as an airplane mechanic.

doolan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all! My name is Doolan and I own a Stihl FS 40C trimmer.

nhyrum

Threads
hello all,

Ive been a long time stihl fan. back in 08, i was in skills USA in high school and took first place in washington state for small engine repair, which was held at the stihl plant in washington (centrailia if im remembering correctly) it was a fun experience.

Was given an fs45 that was hard to start. got her tuned up and running like a beast, then one day went to use it and on the first pull attempt i discovered that the cylinder and/or crankcase had flooded entirely with fuel. never could get her started after that.

Logman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I'm from Australia and have plenty of Stihl gear for our one acre block - very popular brand here. We have a hs45 hedger, 170 and 029 saws and a km90 kombi. I usually try and fix them myself, the two saws I bought missing parts and ordered the rest from China to learn how they worked, had lot's of fun doing that. We don't really have any great forums though so I stumbled on yours, hope you don't mind Aussies ?

doolan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I'm from Australia and have plenty of Stihl gear for our one acre block - very popular brand here. We have a hs45 hedger, 170 and 029 saws and a km90 kombi. I usually try and fix them myself, the two saws I bought missing parts and ordered the rest from China to learn how they worked, had lot's of fun doing that. We don't really have any great forums though so I stumbled on yours, hope you don't mind Aussies 

Welcome Logman! First...Americans love Aussies and Australia. My mother's grandfather or great-grandfather (not sure which) came from Ireland. Things were bad there at the time and someone offered him and his brother an opportunity. Don't ask me how it came about, but there were two boat tickets, one for Amerikay and one for Australia. They had to choose their separate ways. Say hi to any Keatings down there for us. Of course, there may be a few down there courtesy of The Crown too. To them also!

woodworker34

Forum Newbie
Threads
GREETINGS to all Stihl equipment owners!

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your Stihl power tools (that is, if your mower has a name). Maybe attach a photo or two of your equipment.

Also, if you haven't done so already, you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Stihl owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it.

We want to make this the best resource for Stihl owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Stihl stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

My name is Michael and I live in the UK near London. I have two Stihl FS45 Strimmers. ( and need help with one of them which will not run, even after a rebuild.

CalgaryPT

Threads
First Stihl Purchase - FS50C

I was just hanging out in the Honda forum talking about my new mower and almost forgot that I bought a new string trimmer to compliment it.

I have used many trimmers, almost all electric over the years. About 15 years ago I bought my first gas one. It was a disaster. It broke down constantly and in those days I didn't have time to learn fix it myself. Now that I am retired I have more time to research things and learn to repair them myself.

In addition to the poor quality of my big box store gas trimmer 15 yrs ago, I have always had back pain from using them. I finally discovered they were all too short for me. At 6'2" those electrics and even the gas one made me bend over.

I did my research, including Echo, and settled on Stihl. I looked at both straight shaft and curved and settled on the longer curved FS50C. I used it today for the first time. Darn thing started on second pull.

I'd be interested in knowing if you can get a service manual for these as I like to take things apart eventually to understand them and be able to do the maintenance.

But my initial experience with Stihl and the FS50C is pretty good.

Thanks.

EvCox

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi -- Ev Cox from central Ohio with a Stihl MS180C chainsaw with Easy2Start. That feature involves an additional coil spring which gets wound up by the pull-cord and then supplies the power to start the engine. Great feature!!! as I am old with medical issues.

First 2+ years the saw performed exactly as advertised. With only my 'pinky' finger, I could slowly pull the start cord (without fighting the engine compression) about 18 inches and then the EasyStart spring would kick in and crank the engine.

Early this year my grandson helped cut up some downfall. I cautioned him not to jerk the pull cord like a regular saw. Don't know if he did anything wrong but, ever since, it's as if the the EasyStart is not there -- pulling the cord immediately starts cranking rather than winding up the spring. The saw can - and does - run OK otherwise.

Had the saw in to two different shops but don't think they really understood how the Easy2Start works. I'm asking for solutions or detailed description of the parts involved. Thanks.

mikehouse

Threads
Hello Stihl users/owners

Mike from GREENSBORO,NC.Looking for fellow Stihl FS-70RC users.New to this but can somebody tell me EXACTLY where is my spark arretor screen and how to get to it?