Raptor SD mower deck stalls out after I pull clutch

tex3411

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Raptor SD with 45 hrs on it. I've been having a problem with the mower deck stalling out. The engine starts up no problem, after a few min, I rev it up to the appropriate mark, pull the clutch and the mower deck struggles to move, then stops and the engine stalls out. Engine starts right back up. Sometimes after a few times of this the mower deck will just start up and I'm able to mow no problem.
Talking to the guys at the dealership, they are not really sure. He thinks it could be battery. Any help would be appreciated.....

dfbroxy

Threads
I dont think its the battery. Check under the deck to see if rope or wire is wrapped around the blade or spindle shaft. Then take the plastic covers off the deck and inspect and clean. Remove belt then see if each pully spins freely. Also look under mower for sticks jamming things up. With the deck disengaged will the mower move?

tex3411

Forum Newbie
Threads
I dont think its the battery. Check under the deck to see if rope or wire is wrapped around the blade or spindle shaft. Then take the plastic covers off the deck and inspect and clean. Remove belt then see if each pully spins freely. Also look under mower for sticks jamming things up. With the deck disengaged will the mower move?

I've checked and don't see anything wrapped around the blades. I did take the covers off and there was some grass and dirt in there, cleaned that up and that didn't make any difference. The mower moves and drives fine without the deck engaged. I've tried moving the pullys a little but haven't taken the belt off to check that yet, but they seem to be fine.

NorthBama

Threads
when the pto is engaged its puts a load on the engine and the governor opens the throttle for more air and fuel to over come the load. If there is a restriction of fuel or air engine will not recover from the heavy load.

neetan

Threads
  • / Raptor SD mower deck stalls out after I pull clutch
when the pto is engaged its puts a load on the engine and the governor opens the throttle for more air and fuel to over come the load. If there is a restriction of fuel or air engine will not recover from the heavy load.

I agree, this should help!

Happy new year and good luck!

Kremeneon

Threads
If mine sits for more than a week without spinning the blades it will tend to stall the engine when I engage. sometimes I will go under the deck and give them a quarter turn by hand. other times I will let the engine warm up decently good and give it a bit extra throttle and no problems.

kraky

Threads
I have a fast track with the Kawasaki engine and I don't like to Rev it way up to kick the mower deck in when it's cold. I usually drive it out of the garage at about half throttle and then pull the choke up so it's stumbling just a little bit and then kick the deck in and kick the choke off at the same time... this seems to give it a little head start on fuel delivery for pulling through the engagement. Might sound goofy but it works for me.