Ztrak 540R series Hydros

Gabbyp

Threads
The Deere Ztrak 540R uses a Tuff Torq TZ17-M hydro units. From the literature it stated that these are sealed
units and non serviceable but have an auxiliary fluid tank on the unit. I stopped by my dealer and confirmed this.
He stated that the Tuff Torq hydros in the 900 series do have filters for service. I have a Hustler Sport which uses the
Hydro Gear EZT which is not serviceable. The Z300 series also uses the same Hydro Gear EZT units.
As much as I like everything about the Z540R and the Z535R I am very concerned that such a larger and
heavier machine cannot be serviced like most of the competing mowers of similar size from SCAG, Toro etc.
Should I be?
As a side note: While searching I went to the Tuff Torq website and they have no info on the
TZ17-M and D models that Deere has in their literature.
They describe similar units but with different model numbers as TZT-7 Type II and TZT-7 Type III.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Deere Ztrak 540R uses a Tuff Torq TZ17-M hydro units. From the literature it stated that these are sealed
units and non serviceable but have an auxiliary fluid tank on the unit. I stopped by my dealer and confirmed this.
He stated that the Tuff Torq hydros in the 900 series do have filters for service. I have a Hustler Sport which uses the
Hydro Gear EZT which is not serviceable. The Z300 series also uses the same Hydro Gear EZT units.
As much as I like everything about the Z540R and the Z535R I am very concerned that such a larger and
heavier machine cannot be serviced like most of the competing mowers of similar size from SCAG, Toro etc.
Should I be?
As a side note: While searching I went to the Tuff Torq website and they have no info on the
TZ17-M and D models that Deere has in their literature.
They describe similar units but with different model numbers as TZT-7 Type II and TZT-7 Type III.

Here is some Hydro-Gear info, I'm NOT positive! BUT if you look through ALL the literature, you'll find they use different numbered items for their products, notice the manual ( "BLN" ????? ) numbers .

JUST NOTICED: on first link, you MIGHT get a 404 error ! click on page (anywhere) wait a brief time, then scroll down to DOWNLOAD MATERIALS when page opens ........

http://www.hydro-gear.com/d6bae60730_sites/hydro-gear.com/files/ezt-_zt-2100-2200_.pdf

read ALL through the materials you may find it a bit confusing, but I think you will find what you are looking for .

http://www.hydro-gear.com/download-materials/

http://www.hydro-gear.com/owners/

Last edited:

Gabbyp

Threads
Thanks for the info on Hydro Gear. I know all about the Hydro Gear units, but I was looking for information on the TZ17 Tuff Torq hydro's that John
Deere uses in their 500 series ZTRAK machines. I am concerned about the reliability of the sealed units in a heavy machine that require no servicing.
I would like to hear from owners of older series ZTRAK machines that have use these the TZ17 Tuff Torq hydro's. Concerns, Problems ?
There is very little info on the web but lots of info on the Z900 series machines.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the info on Hydro Gear. I know all about the Hydro Gear units, but I was looking for information on the TZ17 Tuff Torq hydro's that John
Deere uses in their 500 series ZTRAK machines. I am concerned about the reliability of the sealed units in a heavy machine that require no servicing.
I would like to hear from owners of older series ZTRAK machines that have use these the TZ17 Tuff Torq hydro's. Concerns, Problems ?
There is very little info on the web but lots of info on the Z900 series machines.

Gabby you stated your Hustler EZT was NOT serviceable, I sent the service manual in the 1st link ......

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is not a very heavy machine at 738 lb. That drive will be fine and it is serviceable. It is what is called a sealed unit. It does not need to be serviced for the life on the machine unless you start having problems. This is the same with the EZT drives. They are serviceable. They sell parts for repairing them.

Gabbyp

Threads
I think I may have misunderstood the meaning of non-serviceable/serviceable with regards to these hydro units.
My understanding of serviceable was to perform routine maintenance items such as drain the fluid, replace the filter and put in
new fluid in hydros such as the Hydro Gear ZT-2800, and non-serviceable as there is no maintenance to perform in hydros
like the EZT and the Tuff Torq TZ17-M unit in question.
I agree that all the units are serviceable.
I will continue to look at the Z540-R and would appreciate any more comments on the machine.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
YEP... a mis-communication, when someone says serviceable to ME, I think they mean the item is a RE-buildable item, like in, O/H an engine, or O/H a carb. , oil changes, filter changes, etc. are just MAINTENANCE, routine, or not , I think my buddy Chuck, ( BlazNT) understands it that way too, NO biggie ! everything is good now . BTW ..... Happy New Year !! ..:thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
YEP... a mis-communication, when someone says serviceable to ME, I think they mean the item is a RE-buildable item, like in, O/H an engine, or O/H a carb. , oil changes, filter changes, etc. are just MAINTENANCE, routine, or not , I think my buddy Chuck, ( BlazNT) understands it that way too, NO biggie ! everything is good now . BTW ..... Happy New Year !! ..:thumbsup:

JD do not keep individual transmission parts for their mowers.
Thus they buy & fit sealed units and in some cases these units are JD specific variations.
Any tranny can be pulled off the mower & have the oil replaced.
Because of the sensitativity of these units to even tiny amounts of very fine dust, removing the tranny and thus making it easy to clean it surgically clean before draining & replacing the oil is actually a good idea.
Most of these unit have a very long service life and doing a 1/2 hearted "service" introducing dirt into the system is a bigger cause of failure than overwork.

Mannayr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will confirm reliability issues for you. I don’t think it has anything to do with the weight of the mower or being a sealed unit though. I have a 2016 Z540R, bought new. I originally used it to cut a mostly flat 3/4 acre yard once a week and it worked well for 4 years. Once I moved to a larger 4 acre yard with a couple of pretty steep hills, it absolutely can’t handle it. In the past 2 years of mowing the large yard, I have replaced both transaxles and am currently replacing the left for the second time. Tried the rebuild kit once, the first time the left side stopped pulling and that worked for a couple of months. I am currently replacing the left side again to make it through the rest of this year, then this John Deere is getting a dear John letter!