18.5 HP Briggs and Stratton seized

Paul6100

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was given an 18.5 hp because it was seized. I took the heads off and both cylinders are rusty. One of which actually had a chunk of ice in the chamber. I am not exactly sure what to do next. How should I try to get the piston unstuck? How would I be able to clean it all up in order to put it back together and get it running again?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It depends if the pistons seized or if the crank seized.

If the crank seized while running, you're probably looking at a junk engine.

If the pistons seized while running, again probably not worth fixing.

If the pistons are seized due to improper storage, you can probably knock them loose with a board and hammer. Then you'll need to hone the cylinders and replace the rings.

Bead blasting, emery cloth, sandpaper, solvent, scotch-brite, compressed air, and elbow grease are all methods I've used cleaning engines.

Threads
I wonder how the ice got in there ??? No spark plug in the hole or holes ????

Some PB blaster or Marvel oil in there might help you out... That is a vertical engine though and I doubt that would help unless you take the engine off and stand it up ~!~!

Taking the sump off and seeing inside the guts would be the best to do first.............

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
As stated in previous posts, you may be in "over your head", the engine may be Beyond Economical Repair ( BER ) we can't really give you a definite answer because we cannot see or "feel" the components of your engine, perhaps IF, you can post several CLOSE-UP - CLEAR photos ( see EXAMPLE style pic ) we could further advise a course of action BEFORE you spend a good deal of time & money on your project .

DSCN1957.jpg ( click on pic )