Oil leak on GXV140

jp1961

Threads
Hi Guys,

I noticed an oil leak started at the end of this years mowing season. I searched this Honda forum, but only found a couple related posts. Oil is all over the BBC system, which leads me to think the lower crankshaft seal is bad, however when the mower was tilted on it's side, oil drips from the dipstick tube. Rather than start replacing parts randomly (my normal method,,,lol), does this engine have a known issue with oil leaking. HR215 Masters mower with GXV140 engine.

Regards and Merry Christmas

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC00099 (15).jpg
    DSC00099 (15).jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC00098 (27).jpg
    DSC00098 (27).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 27

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

The oil level is the joint on the dip stick tube.
On the tube is a seal, an O ring on yours.
If it is bad ( they go hard from heat ) then oil will leak any time you tilt the mower to the side with the dip stick on.
If you overfill the sump the same thing happens.
Replace the seal, wash the mower , check the oil level and see if you get the oil build up again.

OTOH if the oil level is too high, and the oil smells of fuel you have a carb problem. You need to clean the carb then replace the oil a couple of times.

jp1961

Threads
Hi Guys,

Well,,,the bottom crankshaft seal is bad (along with the dipstick tube O ring).

Heck while it's disassembled this far, I thought I'd throw in a new set of rings and check for valve guide wear (there wasn't any valve guide wear).

Here is a mechanics tip for cylinder honing a GXV140 engine. The top to a shoe polish can, with a rim of rubber vacuum line as a gasket along with some carefully placed wooden wedges will seal the crankcase from any honing crud. Worked well,,,see pics. A bit of Yankee ingenuity for a Japanese engine,,,lol.

Regards

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC00100 (27).jpg
    DSC00100 (27).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00101 (11).jpg
    DSC00101 (11).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC00103 (4).jpg
    DSC00103 (4).jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 52

jp1961

Threads
Hi Guys,

Hmmm, I've reassembled the engine, but the governor arm doesn't move at all,,,did I reassemble something wrong?, or should it pivot freely?

Regards

Jeff

jp1961

Threads
Hi Guys,

Update,,,I did have the governor assembled wrong, it should be free to pivot (not much, about 1/2" or so).

Well, my first rebuild of a 4 cycle air cooled engine seemed to go without a hitch. Hopefully she'll be good to go for another 7+ years. Replaced the piston rings, bottom crankshaft seal, cleaned the valves of carbon, resurfaced the exhaust valve using my lathe with cross slide set to 45 degrees, re-lapped the valves, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, dipstick tube gasket, and re-honed the cylinder.

Here is another mechanics tip for someone who may not have feeler gauges to adjust the valves. A piece of paper is .004", which you'd use for the intake and a 3" X 5" index card is .007", which you'd use for the exhaust valve adjustment.

Regards

Jeff

Last edited:

golfergordy

Threads
My HR215 Masters also had an oil leak. It leaked in 2-places: 1) at the lower oil filler tube o-ring, and 2) at the upper crankshaft engine oil seal. Replacing both of these solved the oil leaking problem. I've had 2 HR215's (earlier versions) and an HR214 with no oil leaking issues, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Masters series HR215's are prone to oil leaks?

jp1961

Threads
Hmmm,,,not sure. I can say the lower seal is 100% rubber, not a steel outer ring with rubber inner seal, like most oil seals I've worked with. It also pushed into the oil pan recess with just finger pressure.

No leaks so far, and the BBC system works as it should now.

Regards

Jeff

Last edited: