To remove, or not remove...

Tudorp

Threads
Hey guys... I am going to remove the spindle covers. Gonna do it anyway, but interested in opinions, or concerns I am not thinking of. The reason I am removing them, is because IMHO, these do nothing but collect leaves, grass, dirt and moisture and hold it around the pulleys. Removed, they can be cleaned easily after each use, AND in sight to be able to keep an eye on any up-coming issues with them. Sure, they are there for protection, but with them on, or off, the area needs to be avoided anyway, and your feet or using the deck as a step is a no-no anyway. Anyone else run their with these covers deleted?
IMG_3887.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm one of "those" that believe if, the factory boys spent the money to put em on there, then it was done for a good reason, ( I would guess, to keep dirt, moisture and possibly HUMAN components OUT ) TOTAL GUESS on my part !!

Tudorp

Threads
I'm one of those that are always voiding warranties within 30 minutes of owning something.. lol. The wife always gets onto me about feeling the need to modify stuff. lol. If it were "sealed" I could see the need and it would keep moisture and debris out, but it isn't sealed. Its open on the inside (obviously), and it isn't going to keep out anything other than maybe body parts.. lol. If anything, I can see that it would hold debris in there. I just like the idea of being easy to clean out after each use with them off, and like the idea of being able to see what is going on there at a glance. I have always had that mentality of "I can make it better..." lol. I would assume the manufacture has to put things like that on to avoid liabilities. if they didn't, and someone was stupid enough to stick an appendage in a spinning pulley they would be the type to be the first to sue someone because of their own dumbassness.. lol

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm one of those that are always voiding warranties within 30 minutes of owning something.. lol. The wife always gets onto me about feeling the need to modify stuff. lol. If it were "sealed" I could see the need and it would keep moisture and debris out, but it isn't sealed. Its open on the inside (obviously), and it isn't going to keep out anything other than maybe body parts.. lol. If anything, I can see that it would hold debris in there. I just like the idea of being easy to clean out after each use with them off, and like the idea of being able to see what is going on there at a glance. I have always had that mentality of "I can make it better..." lol. I would assume the manufacture has to put things like that on to avoid liabilities. if they didn't, and someone was stupid enough to stick an appendage in a spinning pulley they would be the type to be the first to sue someone because of their own dumbassness.. lol

In reality we all know why they're on there, to cover THEIR arse's ( liability ) .. protecting US from OURSELVES , I'm meaning the "nood-nicks" among us of course !..:laughing:..:laughing:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
In reality we all know why they're on there, to cover THEIR arse's ( liability ) .. protecting US from OURSELVES , I'm meaning the "nood-nicks" among us of course !..:laughing:..:laughing:

Boo, you're a cynic, and I refuse to cynic to your level.........

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boo, you're a cynic, and I refuse to cynic to your level.........

You're so full of "hot-air", you couldn't "sync" if ya held on to the Titanic when she was going down..:laughing:..:laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They serve several purposes.
1) Stops big things that can jamb or throw the belt
2) stops you putting your hands / foot on the belt and having them jambed in the pulley ( for those who like to emove safety devices )
3) reduce the chances of a deck fire

Lawn Addict
Threads
On my Toro I only added 2 small 1/2" holes per cover, down low. This still protects, & when blowing it off I can see in there, & if necessary aim my blower at those holes & blow it out.

Warranty, I gots no warranty.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On my Toro I only added 2 small 1/2" holes per cover, down low. This still protects, & when blowing it off I can see in there, & if necessary aim my blower at those holes & blow it out.

Warranty, I gots no warranty.

The JD Edge decks also have blow out holes.
Works best if you use a long air duster as you can get them 2' to 4' long.