To remove, or not remove...

Tudorp

Threads
They serve several purposes.
1) Stops big things that can jamb or throw the belt
2) stops you putting your hands / foot on the belt and having them jambed in the pulley ( for those who like to emove safety devices )
3) reduce the chances of a deck fire

One question though. How the heck would they reduce chance of a deck fire? Don't understand that one. The reason I consider removing them is because I read somewhere, where a guy had a belt jumping off due to crap getting built up in there and pushing the belt off. I think he needed to clean it out more often to prevent that, but none the less, it caused a problem. Holding grass, dirt and debris in there around your pulley is what I don't like. That would hold moisture in there risking early rust. Also, I like the idea of it being open for ease of keeping it clean, and for constant monitoring for any issues before they become issues. Sure, safety has to be thought about even more so with exposed spinning parts, so you can't let your guard down. But, you shouldn't let your guard down regardless. I do think they are put on there, and should be put on there by the manufacture to prevent liabilities for lack of paying attention of the operator. Anytime my mower or any equipment is running, my alertness is on point (or at least it should be). Not that I have never let my guard down, but the times I have, generally ended up in something breaking, or someone getting hurt (usually me). I understand the reason for them. But I feel there is more benefit with them not on there as long as you are aware of the dangers that could arise due to not paying attention. But the fire thing, I don't get.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's the pics of the holy guards:
DSC04687.JPGDSC04688.JPG

They serve all purposes well..........

Tudorp

Threads
View attachment 35142View attachment 35143

Did you modify those? or they came like that? I have thought about doing something similar to my guards. I am thinking about cutting a hole in the top, smaller than the pulley, but large enough to see the hubs at a glance. I like the holes on the sides like that, and may think about the one on top, and side holes. A "cage" of sorts.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
View attachment 35142View attachment 35143

I'll agree with the drilled holes version, removal, NO, I think NOT ! BETTER to replace a belt, pulley or spindle than a foot, toe, or fingers/hand !! A few minutes more work, beats the hell out of a long-time / life-time of regret !!..:2cents:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you modify those? or they came like that? I have thought about doing something similar to my guards. I am thinking about cutting a hole in the top, smaller than the pulley, but large enough to see the hubs at a glance. I like the holes on the sides like that, and may think about the one on top, and side holes. A "cage" of sorts.

See post #5 for the link
Just click on the line of green type and it should take you right there...........

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One question though. How the heck would they reduce chance of a deck fire? Don't understand that one. The reason I consider removing them is because I read somewhere, where a guy had a belt jumping off due to crap getting built up in there and pushing the belt off. I think he needed to clean it out more often to prevent that, but none the less, it caused a problem. Holding grass, dirt and debris in there around your pulley is what I don't like. That would hold moisture in there risking early rust. Also, I like the idea of it being open for ease of keeping it clean, and for constant monitoring for any issues before they become issues. Sure, safety has to be thought about even more so with exposed spinning parts, so you can't let your guard down. But, you shouldn't let your guard down regardless. I do think they are put on there, and should be put on there by the manufacture to prevent liabilities for lack of paying attention of the operator. Anytime my mower or any equipment is running, my alertness is on point (or at least it should be). Not that I have never let my guard down, but the times I have, generally ended up in something breaking, or someone getting hurt (usually me). I understand the reason for them. But I feel there is more benefit with them not on there as long as you are aware of the dangers that could arise due to not paying attention. But the fire thing, I don't get.

Well the best mowers have complete guards, not just end caps and those mowers get amazing belt life.
With the guards on debris will build up under the guard, but it packs in tight and block off any vents if fitted.
The grass under the guard tends to rot I have even seed seed germinating under a guard.
Without the guards debris sits in the air and dries out hen friction from the belt rubbing on it will make it smoulder and the draughts caused by the blades spinning till fan the smouldering grass till it catches.
The above is for people cutting wet green grass.

Down here all of the large expanses are sunburned & dry if not dead.
I have already done 2 decks that started to burn and neither of them had any belt guards fitted.
In this case the grass had just covered the entire deck and burst into flame,
The Cub has a quick release deck & the owner just dropped the deck & rode away as the burning deck started a grass fire which ended up burning about 200 acres cause the grass was very dry.
The second was a commercial mower a Toro Z Master so the deck does not quick release . The owner tried to get it some water to put the fire out, but it got the better of him.
As luck would happen all he lost was the deck fittings a lot of paint , a bit of the seat one front wheel & the wires .
He has been involved in mower fires before so had the sense to drive out backwards to keep the fire on the deck & away from the fuel tanks.

Never had a mower in with a deck fire that had all the belt guards fitted.

So it is hoses for courses, but both of them keep their mowers clean and both had removed the guards so they could blow them down with leaf blowers after each use.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The JD Edge decks also have blow out holes.
Works best if you use a long air duster as you can get them 2' to 4' long.

Thanks Bert- didn't know that about the JD Edges. I like the smaller 2 holes on each cover, too small for any of my fingers to even fit into.

I have made a long air duster outta a piece of brake line brazed to a quick connect fitting to my compressor.

Tudorp

Threads
On the fire thing, that does make more sense now. But, also, this is the reason I plan to remove or at least modify the covers so I can and will keep it clear of grass. I think I like the idea above on modifying the cover which is what I am now leaning toward.

mhavanti

Threads
Thanks Ronno!

Found out from Hustler it doesn't hurt your warranty. I would not be at all surprised if you don't see this on the 2018 models about ready to ship out. I received some very nice compliments from the two factory reps that asked for the photos to see what and how I did mine. Two dealers also sent them photos from my belt covers then started drilling them for customers for the very low rate as an optional upgrade. They just switch the covers at time of sale from what I understand. It is an upgrade.

So far, I have not been able to clog those pulleys and belts since I drilled mine. Before, you had to chisel the clippings out of the covers if you left them for multiple mowing.

I got the idea from jersey577 from his opening up all the way round on the bottom. However, I felt a small child would like to feel the rotating pulleys or stick something in them in the event the child may managed to make their way close enough to do so while the belts are engaged. Can never be too careful.

Max

mhavanti

Threads

You won't need any holes on the top. In fact, I think that may even negate some of the benefits to the side exhaust holes. At this time, those holes discharge and grass coming up and over from the front can't settle into the holes as the wind coming from them is quite high. Holes in the top may be similar to an intake after the belt has begun its turn toward the backside of the pulley filling the groove causing a vacuum toward the top. Since I'm not going to test this theory, it very well may be totally wrong.

Just remember, laminar air flow has a tendency to move more air than turbulent air flow. Meaning, open the top, you'll allow more turbulence.

Good luck fellas in drilling and using the upgraded belt guards.

Merry Christmas and have a very Happy Hustler New Year!

Max