Briggs and Stratton powered SnowBlowers engine RPM Adjust ????

edgenet

Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton powered SnowBlowers engine RPM Adjust ????

I have been noticing many Briggs and Stratton SnowBlower engines do not come with throttle controls anymore. There is nothing to slow-down the rpm. These engines are running to high. Is there a way to adjust the rpm of the engine without removing the gas tank. I am thinking today's engineers are a bunch of morons or management will cut features out to save a few pennies. Sad part is if these engines are operated in this state they will self destruct in no time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

I have been noticing many Briggs and Stratton SnowBlower engines do not come with throttle controls anymore. There is nothing to slow-down the rpm. These engines are running to high. Is there a way to adjust the rpm of the engine without removing the gas tank. I am thinking today's engineers are a bunch of morons or management will cut features out to save a few pennies. Sad part is if these engines are operated in this state they will self destruct in no time.

1) EPA or NSC regulations not penny pinching
2) governor controls engine revs so it will not damage the engine unless the governor is broken
3) all small engines that are governed should always be run at full throttle.
4) No reason for a snow blower to be throttled down,

edgenet

Threads
I will start carrying my rpm meter and test the rpm. I always set the Older engines in the 3,500 rpm range these engines sound like they are running in the 5,000 rpm range. Will update in a few weeks.

Just curious do you know the factory RPM settings on these engines. I would like to know the rpm range on the larger engines installed on 28" to 30" snowblowers

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is an observation from what I have read on here. Almost all engines except Honda's are set to run in between 3000 and 3500. Honda's are from 2800 to 3200. Someone may know more than me.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No,
One of the few things that are a worldwide standard is PTO Speeds.
3600 rpm & 1800 rpm.
Thus it should be doing somewhere from 3000 to 3800
A modle number would be very helpful.
A racing engine is usually a governor problem.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Told you someone would know better.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads

The reason for no throttle control is if it has a throttle control or adjustable speed the engine must meet EPA emissions standards throughout the entire throttle range from idle to full speed. Easier to meet standards at one speed. And the engine should be run at full throttle all the time it is under load. Better engine cooling, and more torque. Normal speed would be in the 3400--3600 range.

And as a side note. When they went to the single speed engine the idle circuit inside the carb was removed, so some engines won't even run or run poorly if you try to slow them down.

edgenet

Threads
Great information nice to see a pro on this site. I service snowblowers and lawnmowers at peoples homes I have just been noticing that when the B&S engines get around 3 to 4 years old their engine speed is much higher then other same B&S engines. A spring is a spring not a very accurate device over time it changes. As I said in my earlier post I will start carring an rpm meter and see what is going on.

One other question when turning off an engine from high speed what happens to the raw gas still sucked in by the engine till it finally stops ???????

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
One other question when turning off an engine from high speed what happens to the raw gas still sucked in by the engine till it finally stops ???????

It gets pumped through the cylinder and out the exhaust, unburned. Can result in a big 'bang' if anything in the exhaust is hot enough to ignite it.

Some engines have a solenoid-operated valve in the carburetor to stop the flow of fuel into the engine at the same time the ignition is shut off.

edit: It isn't "raw gas" though. It's the same fuel/air mixture that the engine was running on.

Last edited:

edgenet

Threads
You made my point rather then leaving the throttle control where by the engine speed is reduced and then it shuts off using-up all the fuel vs spewing raw fuel in the environment when shut off at high speed. How did the EPA approve this mess.