Scotts

Tudorp

Threads
Hey guys.. I have a Hustler ZTR, but also have a Scotts that I have been using for many years. Been an awesome mower. The reason I am poking my head in here, is because I want to ask if this forum is where I would want to ask questions etc about my old Scotts mower. It is actually as some of you may know, a "re-badged" John Deere. JD wanted to enter the big box stores but couldn't do that in competition with their JD dealerships, so they re-branded (and painted orange) certain models of their lawn tractors, and sold them in box stores under the "Scotts" brand. JD sometime years ago stopped putting out the Scotts, but sometimes I still might have questions or just talk about my old Scott mower. Is this the place I would do that in seeing it is in reality a John Deere painted Orange?

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey guys.. I have a Hustler ZTR, but also have a Scotts that I have been using for many years. Been an awesome mower. The reason I am poking my head in here, is because I want to ask if this forum is where I would want to ask questions etc about my old Scotts mower. It is actually as some of you may know, a "re-badged" John Deere. JD wanted to enter the big box stores but couldn't do that in competition to their HD dealerships, so they re-branded (and painted orange) certain models of their lawn tractors, and sold them in box stores under the "Scotts" brand. HD sometime years ago stopped putting out the Scotts, but sometimes I still might have questions or just talk about my old Scott mower. Is this the place I would do that in seeing it is in reality a John Deere painted Orange?

You just go right ahead and post whatever you like about your "Scotts" I have NEVER seen any mower discussion refused on this site, even though we do not list Scotts in the "Equipment Forums" YET !! ( there would be hundreds of mowers listed, if they listed every brand, (and of course there are space limitations to also consider,) also, I think it's probably because there were few inquiries about that particular name brand, but you're VERY WELCOME to be here and think of your your Scotts as any other mower discussed here ! WE ALL, are glad to have your participation, and look forward to any questions and comments, YOU ARE among friends !! ....Boobala

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just so you know Scott mowers where first produced by Murray then John Deere. The mower that John Deere used to get into the big box stores was the Sabre. Not that it matters. We help fix them all.

Tudorp

Threads
Did not know that. But mine is a sabre and has "Scott by John Deer" on it. I assume it is after Murray had them then.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

There are few Scotts post tat appear form time to time.
Most of the regular contributors use the "new posts" facility to scan for fresh posts as it scans the entire site.
Putting your posts in the appropriate section makes it easier for others who do not want to post to search.
Enjoy your stay.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
1986: Murray was purchased by Tomkins PLC of Great Britain.
2000: Murray was purchased by Summersong Investment, a Chinese-backed company.
2004: Murray filed bankruptcy, whereupon engine manufacturer Briggs & Stratton acquired the Murray brand name for use on lawn equipment. Briggs & Stratton also owns Simplicity Outdoor.

Murray is no more as Briggs & Stratton only bought the name.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not sure if you get them in the States but Murrays are now made in China.
Around $ 900 landed in Aust so they would be a bit iffy quality wise

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not sure if you get them in the States but Murrays are now made in China.
Around $ 900 landed in Aust so they would be a bit iffy quality wise

Yes, the pieces of junk are sold here too. About the same price.