Hydro Upgrade?

Tudorp

Threads
Hey guys.. Brand new to the forum, and also brand new to zero turn. I have never even sat on one before. But been looking into and researching them for over a year. Decided on jumping into the pool with the Hustler Raptor. I got the entry level standard Raptor. After looking at many, found that the Raptor seemed to be better built as far as the deck and chassis, which is why I went with it. But other than that, the components seem to be about the same on all the consumer models. Specifically the Hydros. Mine has the ZT-2200 Hydro-Gear units. I don't have to worry about it now, but for future reference, and in the case I do have issues down the road, I ask this question. Has anyone ever upgraded the hydros from the lower end 2200 to a stronger one, or maybe even a commercial hydro? Being an old "Hot Rodder" and building/fabricating hot rods, and Jeeps over the decades, know that anything can be built, or done. But, for this purpose do not want to, or plan to do any "fabrication" or re-trofitting. Does anyone know of a stronger Hydro that is pretty much a direct bolt in unit to replace the 2200's? I know the internet loves pictures, but I don't see a need because I am sure we all know what a Hustler Raptor looks like ;) . But if pictures are needed, I can post one. But I would bet to guess it looks much like yours.. lol.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to LMF ! Congrats on your new machine as well, WE are NOT from the Government, and we ARE here to help, should you ever need it ! Enjoy the times you spend here, and keep that baby maintained, it should last a lonnnng time ! ..Boobala

welcome-smileys.png ....WIN D.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most if not all Hydro Gears have the same mounting points. Even the commercial line. The hub will be the thing that will be the problem. But with a rim swap, everything will work. Ok forgot about the brakes they connect differently as well.

Tudorp

Threads
Good point. If I did it at some point in the future, I'd probably go with the larger wheels and low profile tires that the Limited has. I like the wider footprint of those for better traction. I was concerned with traction with this one. My property is flat, except having to go down and back up from the ditch that fronts the highway. But, I took mine out to see if it could go up it, and it did with no problem. And the ground was wet due to it raining the night before. So, it did good. Not as easily as my Scott (John Deere) does, but, it did fine. But yeah, if I ever do put stronger hydros in it, I'd replace to the bigger wheels/tires anyway. As far as brake, my Scott brakes hadn't worked for years I don't think. I never used them anyway. I just use the Hydro itself as a brake.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good point. If I did it at some point in the future, I'd probably go with the larger wheels and low profile tires that the Limited has. I like the wider footprint of those for better traction. I was concerned with traction with this one. My property is flat, except having to go down and back up from the ditch that fronts the highway. But, I took mine out to see if it could go up it, and it did with no problem. And the ground was wet due to it raining the night before. So, it did good. Not as easily as my Scott (John Deere) does, but, it did fine. But yeah, if I ever do put stronger hydros in it, I'd replace to the bigger wheels/tires anyway. As far as brake, my Scott brakes hadn't worked for years I don't think. I never used them anyway. I just use the Hydro itself as a brake.

As a hot rodder I would have thought that you would be familiar with ground pressure.
Wider wheels do not give more traction unless they are fitted with agricultural tyres because they are always running over freshly mowed ( thus wet ) grass.
Hydros die because of errosion between the valve chest & the valve plate so fitting one with a very fine replacible oil filter and with oil changing facilities will last a lot longer provided that you clean the unit before changing the filter & oil and you actually change them at, or earlier than specified.
An old saying in the historic motorcycling circles is "the best oil for you bike is the stuff you just replaced ".

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Tudorp

Threads
Thanks for that link. I will check them out..

Tudorp

Threads
As a hot rodder I would have thought that you would be familiar with ground pressure.

Yes, I understand ground pressure very well. But I have to respectfully disagree. Wider does increase traction but maybe in a different way than many would think. Yes, less ground "pressure" due to the less lbs per square inch. More contact surface so the weight is spread out over a larger surface, so less lbs per square inch. However, with my fat arse (6'5" @ 375#) on it, I create more ground pressure than many to compensate for that.. :cool:. Also building many Jeeps/Off road vehicles, there is also a science called "flotation", which a wider tire helps with. Ability to stay on top of the surface is increased. If you stay on top, less likely to break through the foliage to dirt or mud (or slicker layer). Wider tires do offer better traction as long as you have plenty down force (ground pressure), and because of flotation to not break through to a lower slicker terrain. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can see where you are coming from but you still have to take into account that the remaining grass is springy.
That springy surface is wet and slippery.
Between each blade of grass is the grass you have just cut which is loose & slippery , doubly so if you are mulching.

And yes it is a science to push down hard enough to get traction but soft enough not to rut the grass.

But you sound like you know what you are doing.