Mr.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is the EPA number. The model number is around the muffler.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK, so we have to check whether your voltage regulator or stator is bad. This is once again done with the engine running. Before you start the engine find the voltage regulator. Should have 3 wires. 2 yellow and 1 black. 2 yellow wires are AC and between them should have 30+ volts coming from the engine. If not the stator is bad if they do the voltage regulator is bad.

jiwatson

Threads
I really appreciate all this information. I'll let you know what I find.

jiwatson

Threads
OK, so we have to check whether your voltage regulator or stator is bad. This is once again done with the engine running. Before you start the engine find the voltage regulator. Should have 3 wires. 2 yellow and 1 black. 2 yellow wires are AC and between them should have 30+ volts coming from the engine. If not the stator is bad if they do the voltage regulator is bad.

I found voltage regulator.It has two yellow wires and one red wire.The yellow wires are plugged into two black wires.I unplugged yellow wires,set my meter on a.c. started engine tested.yellow wires at wot. and got.nothing.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you test the wires coming from the engine? If you had some voltage befor you should have something when testing.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
That means your stator is bad. 3 to choose from.

Alternator (Dual Circuit) Part Number: 592831 or
10-16 Amp Alternator Part Number: 592830 or
5-9 Amp Alternator Part Number: 592829

jiwatson

Threads
Would you have any recommendations as to where to buy these parts?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before you toss the old one, pull the flywheel and check all the magnets are there.
Check there is no magnetic dust / gravel etc between the magnets as these effectively short out the small magnets and make 1 big magnet which drastically reduces out put.
Then check the ground connection of the stator.
One ( or more ) of the mounting bolts will have a wire from the coil under it.
Give it a good clean up if there is any corrosion or the bolt is loose.
Ideally you need to see 27V AC minimum from the stator and most manuals tell you to toss them at anything under 30 V AC as you loose a little voltage during the conversion to DC
X volts AC = x/2 Volts DC.

The stator is paired with the rectifier so if you upgrade you need to replace the rectifier as well.
Check the Yellow pages for a mower REPAIR shop in your area.
We all end up with boxes full of stators & rectifiers from engines that throw rods or seize.
Take your old one with you.

Briggs kept consistent mounting centeres for their stators so you have a lot to choose from.
make sure you tell the shop you have an electric PTO.
FWIW the colour,shape & number of the wires and the colour & shape of the plug codes out Briggs stators.

If you want a new, exact replacement , make sure that the new one has the same wires & plug ( including colour ) as the old one.