Any good mower junkyards? Need Cheetah gas tank

mike73

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need a left-side gas tank for a 2015 Scag Cheetah- I slid into a pole while mowing and broke it right at the edge. The information on the tank says XLPE, which is generally not considered to be a repairable material from what I can tell- resources say it is a thermoset, so it can't be welded, and most adhesives don't bind well since it is non-porous. If worst comes to worst, I may try to put a patch over the hole and seal with black RTV, but I doubt it will hold up that well if I do that.

Dealer quoted $478 for a new tank, so I'm hoping to find a used tank with a max price of $150-200 including shipping (the cheaper, the better). I've called several of the top google results for searches on lawnmower junkyards, and so far nobody has a cheetah. I'm also open to deals with others on here or CL- I'm willing to pay shipping within said price or drive within a day's trip of northeast Indiana. Let me know if you guys know of any good places.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mike, where in the US are you located..?? I have some OLD lists of mower graveyards, I'll try to go through my files and see if I can find something close by to help with this issue, I have some information on fixing these "plastic" tanks and everything that APPEARS to be an acceptable fix is the "welding" of the tank using heating tools, and the SAME material the the tank is made of, of course most do recommend, in the case of GAS/FUEL tanks, REPLACEMENT IS the BEST option, yep the cost of that tank is hard to take,... But if your machine caught fire, then where would you be ..?? ( just food for thought there) I will start going through my files tomorrow and see what I can find. ..Boobala

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mike, I'm sure you must have heard about Harald's ,...about the biggest I know of, so far, Don't forget, these salvage yards may be in COLD-COUNTRY, wrong time of year to be outside scrounging through piles of freezing metal .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkr90AmIg_4

more to follow.......awaiting your location.... Boo