pulsa jet 5 HP L head runing rich.

Zippster

Threads
Hello folks

I have a 1979 5Hp Briggs flat head on a chipper/shredder that runs well albeit rich. It turns the spark plug black. It does not blow black smoke. I have cleaned the carb as best I could without removing the welch plugs. I removed and inspected the fuel pump membrane and it looks really good for its age, no visible tears or holes.

I was given this chipper as it was sitting inside for 15 years. I did the obvious things - new foam air cleaner, new muffler, cleaned carb, cleaned fuel tank, changed the oil, all looks pretty good. I did notice that the exhaust valve lash is a bit over spec at .013, intake is fine.

Other then the pump membrane, is there anything else one can do/check to help solve this running rich issue. If the jets were accessible, I would try that. I have run about two tank fill's of new gas with a little marvel mystery oil in it. The oil get dark pretty quickly too, maybe from running rich. I don't believe that this motor has that much time on it for its age.

Thoughts?

Zippster

Threads

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks

I looked at the first link, but not the second.

I might remove the needle and jet to clean again. I just removed the needle and sprayed carb cleaner in there. Perhaps I should take the whole seat an jet apart.

Do it RIGHT the 1st time, ...then you shouldn't have to do it again ! (old mechanics creed)

Zippster

Threads
maybe!

You don't know if that's the problem.

I don't tear things down all at once chasing an unknown problem. That bolt that holds the needle has a gasket that I don't have if it needs to be replaced. So I take a more test wait and see approach and it still might not solve the problem with all the orifices hidden under welch plugs. I did not know there was a removable jet under that seat, so I learned that. Jumping into the unknown can cause problems one does not need.

So I appreciate the help, but I can do without the judgement.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
maybe!

You don't know if that's the problem.

I don't tear things down all at once chasing an unknown problem. That bolt that holds the needle has a gasket that I don't have if it needs to be replaced. So I take a more test wait and see approach and it still might not solve the problem with all the orifices hidden under welch plugs. I did not know there was a removable jet under that seat, so I learned that. Jumping into the unknown can cause problems one does not need.

So I appreciate the help, but I can do without the judgement.

I wasn't JUDGING you, I sent you a MANUAL , .. did you bother to look at it ..?? BEFORE, I tear into something for dis-assembly, I ALWAYS check the manuals and parts lists, if available, so I have a good idea of what to expect, if it's old, I also check for availability, you cop an attitude with ME, and your gonna find, I'm outa here!!

Zippster

Threads
Yes I did read the manual after I did what I listed since I did not have access to it BEFORE, you can't look at something before you have it....as I stated, didn't know about the removable jet before hand. The first link was readily available when I searched for this carb, maybe that was not clear. So the second link on your reply might be of some assistance. People come to forums for assistance, not mechanics creed. I found your reply a bit edgy at a minimum.

Tell ya what, if your help/suggestions come with critical anecdotes then you can keep em, have a nice day.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes I did read the manual after I did what I listed since I did not have access to it BEFORE, you can't look at something before you have it....as I stated, didn't know about the removable jet before hand. The first link was readily available when I searched for this carb, maybe that was not clear. So the second link on your reply might be of some assistance. People come to forums for assistance, not mechanics creed. I found your reply a bit edgy at a minimum.

Tell ya what, if your help/suggestions come with critical anecdotes then you can keep em, have a nice day.

.. A. M. F. !

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the unit is running rich, I doubt that the jets are clogged. No black smoke, just black plug, doesn’t always mean fuel problem. May just mean the engine is just running cold. Do you have the correct heat range plug? That engine should use a Champion J19LM or equivalent. Unless you are having other problems, I wouldn’t worry about it or Boo, he’s got nothing better to do, but bad mouth those who don’t agree with him. FYI, he doesn’t like me either. If you need more help, please post engine numbers so I can see the exact carb you have.

Mikel1

Threads
You sure it's black from fuel and not oil.