Pennsylvania newbie here!

MrEd71

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the acceptance to your forum. I've had a little experience working on and restoring some units over the years. An '88 Wheel Horse 12 hp.(forget the mod. no.), a '79 J.D. 314 (frame off), Cub Cadet 2165, and currently a J.D. 300X. My main reason to join is to research and possibly restore a Bolens GT 2000 which is currently my daughter's (acquired from divorce).
I' ll probably have little to add except where I feel qualified. My questions will flow, however, if I get going on the Bolens.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!! :thumbsup:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME aboard, providing the information about your machine enables the folks here to find the CORRECT information to help with any issues you may have, ( provided it's available) WE are NOT from the Government, and we ARE here to help ! ( LOL ) Enjoy your visits on the forum, looking forward to hearing from you.

Is this the machine you are in discussion about ??

http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/001/5/6/1565-bolens-gt-2000.html

by clicking on the items on the "black" bar at top ( engine, specs., etc. ) you get more info., then by clicking on the italics in the sub-panel,.. even more info comes up, be sure to read about SERIAL numbers (we really don't need that except maybe in certain cases for parts identification. ) ... click away...hope this helps

GET INFO.JPG ....click to enlarge

AND.. a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to and yours !

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Great piece of kit.
A real Garden tractor
I found the workshop manual on line with this search " Bolens_5100_Series_Duratrac_Tractors_Service_Repair_Workshop_Manual_"
Parts books are on the Troy Built web site under the GTX series. Which are the same mowers, rebranded after Bolens went down.
Bolens got gobbled up by Troy Built who in turn were sucked into the MTD conglomerate and all the worthwhile models were dropped.
Good luck.

Most of the mower parts are obsolete but can be fabricated by any back yard machinist ( even me ).
Hydraulics are all std stuff so bits are available for most genuine hydraulic repair shops.
The Eaton tranny is also obsolete but there are parts available for them.
No one wanted to buy the inventory when Eaton got out of the mower business so they went to scrap.
OTOH they are real tractor parts so they were built to last.

MrEd71

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks so much for the warm welcome!
Yes, that looks like the model Bolens in question. At present, though, it's not in my posession so I can't explore it to find the appropriate numbers for I.D. Hopefully in the spring it will be relocated to my shop for a closer look. Having seen it, though, I believe it to be worthy of restoration no matter who owns it. If memory serves, there is around 600 hrs. on the unit. It comes with a mower deck (I believe 48") and a snow/grader blade.
Time will tell and come on spring! :smile:

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum!

:welcome:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks so much for the warm welcome!
Yes, that looks like the model Bolens in question. At present, though, it's not in my posession so I can't explore it to find the appropriate numbers for I.D. Hopefully in the spring it will be relocated to my shop for a closer look. Having seen it, though, I believe it to be worthy of restoration no matter who owns it. If memory serves, there is around 600 hrs. on the unit. It comes with a mower deck (I believe 48") and a snow/grader blade.
Time will tell and come on spring! :smile:

And be real careful with that beck they are heavy with a capitol H underlined and in bold type so don't even think of touching it without supports under it.
Don't trust the anti scalp wheels to keep your fingers safe

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to the forum Mr Ed, say hi to Wilbur for me.

MrEd71

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome to the forum Mr Ed, say hi to Wilbur for me.

Thanks Russ,
Sadly, Wilbur and I parted ways. He was always riding me for some reason.
Merry Christmas!
:tongue: