Turf Tiger II 2018 STTII-61V-37BV-EFI (First Post)

mcdonell

Threads
Congratulations on the new mower. You researched the matter and sounds like a wise choice. Great mower with plenty of power that will get the job done week after week for many years.

P.S. I would not be afraid of today's EFI and it would be nice not to have to play with the choke when cold.

qrtrhrs

Threads
  • / Turf Tiger II 2018 STTII-61V-37BV-EFI (First Post)
Picked up the new TT II with the 35hp carb B&S mower yesterday. Between the cold and some other issues to attend to, I unloaded it from the trailer and pulled it into my shed. I got back to it about six hours later intending only to make some room so I could pull it further into the shed but when I went to start it the battery was too low. I brought it inside and let it sit to warm to room temperature and then put it on the charger. I have it at about 100% now but it is supposed to rain hard tomorrow maybe start out as sleet or freezing rain. No big deal, I want to go through the manual before I do much with it. Not that there is too much to do, lol! I have some weedy areas and some leaves to play around with to get started.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It was delivered to you with a low battery? Or did something run it down in the 6 hours it sat?

qrtrhrs

Threads
It was delivered to you with a low battery? Or did something run it down in the 6 hours it sat?
The mower came into the dealer's shop on Friday morning and I could have gotten it that day but chose to do so the next day, Saturday. The mower started just fine inside and again after a 30-45 minute ride to my house. It was maybe in the low teens that day so after six hours, the battery apparently had run down when I got back to it.

I do intend to speak to the dealer since it could be an issue in the future that needs to be documented. The way I see it, the machine was likely in an unheated warehouse then shipped in an unheated van or even on a flatbed. During warmer weather, I likely would have gone right to mowing and further charging the battery. Anyway, I don't see it as an issue to get upset over. It's been my experience that these small mower size batteries do not last all that long to start with.

For now, the battery is inside and charged. With weather and other commitments, I don't know when I will get to play but I will post on any issues that I deem worthy. I forgot to put up a pic of my new machine so here it is.

Attachments

• 20180106_164638.jpg
    20180106_164638.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 13

qrtrhrs

Threads
Finally got two hours of seat time on the new Scag today. Two days ago we finally got our horses moved to the place we bought last May. (It took way longer than I had expected to get things ready, lol.) The pasture was way to lush to put them on so I decided to cut it.

First impressions: This thing is a beast! I do not expect that I will ever not have the power I need to cut through thick grass should I for some reason fall behind on my mowing. Overall, very good ride on somewhat rough ground and fast! I had read and re-read the manual but let's face it, getting on a new machine is still a learning curve. No problem though. Overall handling and control layout were easy to get used to.

As I have always heard though, the standard zero turn layout is not as "stable" on hills as a front mount deck. My previous mower, a Woods branded front mount supposedly made by Grasshopper for all it's other issues was more shall we say comfortable on a slope. I learned to take it easy on an area that is easy to slide on. My neighbor had mowed it for me when I was without mower and ended up sliding through my fence.

Anyway, I looked over everything and see no issues with uneven belt ware, etc. So, I am a happy owner, lol!

Oh', I have to admit that I put my first scratch on it. I forgot about the height of the rollbar and neglected to take down an electric wire strung over a gate opening figuring that I could duck under it. (A wire strung in front of a gate will keep horses from pushing on the gate.) Whoops, two new gate handles in the trash and a scratch on the roll bar posts!

mcdonell

Threads
Glad your happy with you new mower. Best wishes.

I hit a few things with the ROP bar and popped a few wheelies when I run into objects on the ground. I also created a few divets on the property. I am better 3 years later. :)

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can buy cheaper mowers and you can buy more expensive mowers, but when it comes to cutting grass, you won't find anytihng that will out cut a Scag with the Velocity Deck.

My preference is the Tiger Cat with a 52" deck. In my opinion and the opinion of some of my employees who run them every day they will out cut the 61" Turf Tigers when it is all said and done.

Either way though Scag is a grass cutting machine.

qrtrhrs

Threads
You can buy cheaper mowers and you can buy more expensive mowers, but when it comes to cutting grass, you won't find anytihng that will out cut a Scag with the Velocity Deck.

My preference is the Tiger Cat with a 52" deck. In my opinion and the opinion of some of my employees who run them every day they will out cut the 61" Turf Tigers when it is all said and done.

Either way though Scag is a grass cutting machine.
I would generally agree that a more narrow deck will give a nicer finish if that is the goal. I am cutting my yard and my pasture so I wanted the maximum six inch high deck for the pasture. My pasture is rough so I take my time therefore the wider deck is a plus but thanks for the input.