Snapper RER Parts Compatibility - Mower Deck & Bagger

gvanek

Threads
  • / Snapper RER Parts Compatibility - Mower Deck & Bagger
Yes. the 2013 is the "re-engineered" model that a lot of people don't like.

Having now used both the original model, and the newer...I prefer the newer. It's easier for me to fit into (6'4'...240)...and MUCH easier to operate regarding blade engagement and mowing in reverse.

HOWEVER, I think the older model's ability to twist and conform to the terrain may have an advantage regarding cut quality.

I think that if you can get that extra tough model for a couple hundred bucks that it would be a good buy...even if it ain't running. For starters, the rear fender panels (no longer produced) allow bearings instead of bronze bushings, and the differential has 4 Pinion gears(?) instead of 2.

Mow Joe

Threads
the differential has 4 Pinion gears(?) instead of 2.
It's actually 8 instead of 4, but who's counting? Having rebuilt many Snapper differentials, both Xtra-Tough and standard, I couldn't see where the extra pinions made it any better, just different. Actually, when the first Xtra-Tough models came out, they were worse. They promoted the "Hardened steel bull gear". In actuality it caused the smaller gear to fail quickly. I think they quickly scrapped the hardened gear.

DPDISXR4Ti

Threads
I think that if you can get that extra tough model for a couple hundred bucks that it would be a good buy...even if it ain't running. For starters, the rear fender panels (no longer produced) allow bearings instead of bronze bushings, and the differential has 4 Pinion gears(?) instead of 2.

Would that stuff be readily swap-able into a later, Series 11 model?

gvanek

Threads
It's actually 8 instead of 4, but who's counting? Having rebuilt many Snapper differentials, both Xtra-Tough and standard, I couldn't see where the extra pinions made it any better, just different. Actually, when the first Xtra-Tough models came out, they were worse. They promoted the "Hardened steel bull gear". In actuality it caused the smaller gear to fail quickly. I think they quickly scrapped the hardened gear.

LOL...I should have written "4 pair instead of 2 pair".