Beware of Clear Sheet Roofing

Perry

Threads
Last Easter, we had a significant storm, here. A huge and weighty branch (really the size of a tree trunk!) broke off a poplar and fell on the garden shed / hothouse. On 12 Dec, two carpenters turned up, at the behest of the insurance company, to reinstate the damage. They completed the task by day's end, despite the heat. Parts of the lawn did not fare so well.

As they removed the sheets of clear roofing, they were put on the lawn. The singed striping effect was neither wanted, nor desirable. The grass will recover, of course, but let my experience be a warning.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow !! I'm thinking the same effect as using a magnifying glass under the sun to fry ants (when I was a kid, like 100 yrs ago).

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Which is why it is always best to fit a tint.
If you look at the timber where the sheeting was bolted down you might also find some charring of the wood.
If there is a lot of pyrophoric dust around they have been know to cause fires in areas with strong summer sun.

Perry

Threads
Interesting.

Because it's corrugated, there is airflow when the sheets are fixed in place.

But I must have a peep and see if it's like you suggest.

PS.
I've added "pyrophoric" to my dictionary. Just after pyromaniac. :wink:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Exactly.
So you have smouldering dust and a breeze.
Now how exactly do you start a friction fire ?

Over the pond most professional roofers fit that corrigated foam between the sheeting & the timber beams.
I wa watching a team at a friends farm and wondered why they put the foam on the wooden beams inside the shed but not on the metal ones outside on the breezeway.