B&S Modell 44R877-0001G1

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELL, I've had my head up my arse, AGAIN, looking through the parts manual of the ( 44 R 877 ) & ( 44 N 877 ) engines I OVER-LOOKED the difference in carburetors and intake manifolds, what a DIFFERENCE !! it appears the 44 R uses a "2 barrel" carb & intake manifold, whereas the 44 N uses a BIG "single barrel" carb & intake manifold, hence the difference in linkages & controls, ( also the 44 N diagram shows the bracket for using a MANUAL choke ) although I don't think that engine uses one because it seems to be the THERMOSTAT controlled "EASY-START engine that our member ( motoman ) has, The carb on the 44 N looks like the exact same NIKKI carb I have on my 17.5 HP Briggs single cyl., maybe just a BIGGER model ..??? this is the first time I've noticed a 1 barrel carb on a twin cyl. engine ..STRANGE ?? Well here's a few more diagrams to ponder, ........ (upper right corners on some diagrams elude to model #)

44 N 877 Carb.PNG.....44 N 877 Intake Man.PNG.....44 R 877 Intake Man.PNG.....44 R 877 Carb.PNG

AND back to the manuals, WHAT ELSE have I missed ??..:laughing:..:laughing:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boobala ,you should be awarded trophy for Mr. Energy. Best regards, motoman

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Actually, I was searching for info. on this used engine I bought, I always TRY to find out every detail about each engine I have, so when the time comes for maint. or repairs I know exactly what I'm dealing with. I have ordered replacement parts on occasion,and it's no cake-walk, trying to return parts online, ... unanswered calls, no reply to emails, etc. etc, ( depends on who you're dealing with ) When I happened to run across your post on the Husqvarna of yours. I was hoping someone would be so kind as to post some pics of THEIR ( same engine ) linkage as mine, to help with my issue. then discovering that there was a 44 N 877 model, and mine being an 44 R 877, I got nosey then wound up exchanging this info with motoman and another member ( lestro) and only today did I come to find out these 2 engines though very much similar, DO have differences, which of course means .. you better be sure of what model you have, and, that you are using the correct parts, from the CORRECT PARTS MANUAL !! biggest difference I found so far is these 2 models (44R877-0001-G1,) .. ( 44N877-0001-G1 ) have a thermostat controlled choke, with a nylon vane in the "blower-housing" and 1 has a 2 barrel carb , the other a big single barrel carb ( at least it must be, still cant figure, WHY though ?? ) and THAT leads to somewhat of a difference in the THROTTLE/GOVERNOR LINKAGES, also might be some differences in the "breathers" depending on manufacture codes, and I'm still researching, plus there are several other models with similar components, DAMN ..!!! I should be gettin paid by Briggs for all this &^$#@$#@ hoop jumpin, they must have some really sorry-arse folks in their technical publications dept. I KNOW they never read an IPB in the military, NOW those are REAL publications !! clear, efficient, and constantly up-dated with revisions, alternate P/Ns & cross reference materials up the wazoo !! Good damn thing I'm retired !! ... ..:laughing:..:laughing:...later guys, break-time ...Boo

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

That's truly kind of you motoman, but people keep tellin me, I'm just a nosey sumbeech ! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Little by little, THIS INFO. pertains to the model 44 N models ..NOT the 44 R !!

this member posted this awhile back, and has NOT been on the site recently, hope he doesn't mind !

44N877 INFO.PNG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Actually, I was searching for info. on this used engine I bought, I always TRY to find out every detail about each engine I have, so when the time comes for maint. or repairs I know exactly what I'm dealing with. I have ordered replacement parts on occasion,and it's no cake-walk, trying to return parts online, ... unanswered calls, no reply to emails, etc. etc, ( depends on who you're dealing with ) When I happened to run across your post on the Husqvarna of yours. I was hoping someone would be so kind as to post some pics of THEIR ( same engine ) linkage as mine, to help with my issue. then discovering that there was a 44 N 877 model, and mine being an 44 R 877, I got nosey then wound up exchanging this info with motoman and another member ( lestro) and only today did I come to find out these 2 engines though very much similar, DO have differences, which of course means .. you better be sure of what model you have, and, that you are using the correct parts, from the CORRECT PARTS MANUAL !! biggest difference I found so far is these 2 models (44R877-0001-G1,) .. ( 44N877-0001-G1 ) have a thermostat controlled choke, with a nylon vane in the "blower-housing" and 1 has a 2 barrel carb , the other a big single barrel carb ( at least it must be, still cant figure, WHY though ?? ) and THAT leads to somewhat of a difference in the THROTTLE/GOVERNOR LINKAGES, also might be some differences in the "breathers" depending on manufacture codes, and I'm still researching, plus there are several other models with similar components, DAMN ..!!! I should be gettin paid by Briggs for all this &^$#@$#@ hoop jumpin, they must have some really sorry-arse folks in their technical publications dept. I KNOW they never read an IPB in the military, NOW those are REAL publications !! clear, efficient, and constantly up-dated with revisions, alternate P/Ns & cross reference materials up the wazoo !! Good damn thing I'm retired !! ... ..:laughing:..:laughing:...later guys, break-time ...Boo

Simple Boo,,,,, PRICE.
A single barrel carb is cheaper than a twin barrel carb.
So when Husqvarna want an engine $ 20 cheaper, they get the single barrel carb ( except in Cal ) .
Technical literature revisions are expensive and mowers have a very very very low profit margin which is why ultimately they will all be made in 3rd world countries.

The primary customer is the mower company and they do not want you to substitute engines.
HE who pays the piper calls the tune and they paid Briggs for the engine so they control the available information.

IT took me 2 months to find tuning details for a Husqvarna concrete saw because Husqvarna owns all of the IP regarding the saw and all of the purchased parts.
Husqvarna bought RuXin and one of the reasons was to control the technical data so the carb can not be repaired, only replaced and replacements are only available from a Husqvarna agent.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just for informational purposes, ....
the 44R877-0001-G1 and the 44N877-0001-G1 engines both, are thermostat-controlled-choke engines, other models may use the "Choke a Matic" feature, ( a single throttle-choke combined lever ) ( which is what I have on my 2005 model Briggs 17.5 HP Murray "42" in. ) by pushing the on-dash throttle lever to max forward position the engines choke is engaged, just back from that position, is FULL throttle, ( mine has a "detent" which can be felt fairly easy ) going beyond the detent, re-chokes the engine. My 2003 21 HP Briggs "TWIN" , has a separate dash-mounted "manual-choke" cable.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
INFORMATIONAL :

this is a top view of my carburetor, idle speed screw is at 9:00 o clock position, area in red, is where to check for THROTTLE linkage arm rubbing on INTAKE manifold

_throttle_link.JPG

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Give me the manual choke. The dyt 4000 Intek 24 always starts at cold and I have not had to fix corrosion or breakage of the "bi-metallic" spring mechanism.

Regarding change-ups in engine assembly...sometimes there are some left over piece parts that work...hey, use them up- throw them on this model. It used to happen in the auto industry, even with different suspension parts side to side, same car. Enough to drive the configuraton manager nuts, and probably the poor parts supplier working off of SN identity.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Give me the manual choke. The dyt 4000 Intek 24 always starts at cold and I have not had to fix corrosion or breakage of the "bi-metallic" spring mechanism.

Regarding change-ups in engine assembly...sometimes there are some left over piece parts that work...hey, use them up- throw them on this model. It used to happen in the auto industry, even with different suspension parts side to side, same car. Enough to drive the configuraton manager nuts, and probably the poor parts supplier working off of SN identity.

Motoman :
here's a lil info. should you decide to go manual choke.

_choke_link.JPG...kijuyh.jpg..._choke_throttle_cables.JPG

DSCN6225.jpg...MAN.CHOKE.jpg...choke1.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/i/272327909964?chn=ps .......... you can alter these cables to fit as necessary, most likely have to remove carb to install choke-link, ( dont forget the gaskets !! )