B&S Modell 44R877-0001G1

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Motoman, Thanks for YOUR patience, and kindness to help, I've been doing some heavy searching for info on these (44-SERIES engines) I didn't even know the 44N ( such as yours) model was included in these thermostat model engines. the thing I've found is, these models are "unique" unto themselves because of the thermostat controlled choke and a plastic "vane-assy" in the fan housing (shroud) I found the details in a news release, & P/Ns in the parts manual specific to this engine. what I need to know, as of now , is WHERE the spring which slides over the THROTTLE linkage rod, connects to, up top . (see pic)

DSCN5076.jpg...READY START LOGO.PNG...WHICH HUSQV IT CAME ON.PNG

I'm fairly sure I have the governor springs location & color ( ORANGE) in hand, ... I located a bunch of pictures ( which I will post in a follow-up thread, to possibly help other members)
If you could describe where the throttle linkage rod spring in question connects, ( or a pic would be great) and ANY further info about these engines, I myself ( and other members would be most appreciative ) I do hope you will visit this thread on occasion, and again I want to Thank You for your time and assistance ....Boobala ........:thumbsup:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Posting pics related to Briggs & Stratton Models ( 44R877-0001 -G1 ) & ( 44N877-0001-G1 ) engines for the interests of anybody that is interested in theses models of engines. Please feel free to post any pics or further info. related to these models. some of these pics I found on THIS site ( LMF)

20170523_122523.jpg..20170524_120406.jpg..20170524_121146.jpg..20170527_105524.jpg..20170527_105544.jpg..DSCN5072.jpg..DSCN5074.jpg..DSCN5076.jpg..DSCN5078.jpg..DSCN5077.jpg..DSCN5079.jpg..DSCN2706.jpg..DSCN2705.jpg..DSCN2704.jpg..DSCN2707.jpg..DSCN2709.jpg..DSCN2708.jpg..DSCN2711.jpg..

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
A bit more info :

Here's the News Letter Release from B&S, you will have to enlarge it (sorry).....see paragraph 4

READY START LOGO.PNG...WHICH HUSQV IT CAME ON.PNG .......click to open, click again to enlarge

Vane parts.PNG...VANE PARTS P-Ns.PNG ...P/Ns 217A,291,1386,1474

VANES SHIELDS.PNG...Shields P-Ns.PNG ...P/Ns 212,227,306,306A,573,865

SPRINGS.PNG...SPRINGS P-Ns.PNG ...P/Ns 209,211,216,216A,222,501A

These are from the B&S (44R877-0001-G1) Parts Manual available on the B&S site
I have .NOT. checked for IDENTICAL P/Ns in the (44N877-0001-G1) parts manual yet !!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some pin- ups in the pines....Interesting you have caused me to look at the linkage rod on the right as you face the front. I think this may be the one you are interested in. It connects at the top to a little crank on a "thru shaft" at the very front of the carb, looks like perhaps a butterfly function? There is another bigger shaft further back on the carb barrel which looks like the main throttle plate? ( I have not had these apart.) Anyway, on the right rod there is a fine wire return spring which is sitting with the upper hook broken off. Look closely and you can see it. This little guy measures .014" wire dia so it cannot do a lot of heavy work, but in my Husqy thread a while back I bitched about surging which stopped after a while. Don't know if that little "watch spring" played a role. If you come across the pn let me know. Also if you need more pics.

Edit: I looked again at your 1st pic of the rod. It has a "pusher" spring on it I don't see on mine. The joyous press release by Briggs on the bi-metallic choke might make a person shake a head as that technology goes back to the 1960's on cars. The "vanes" you mention...are they just one, a temp sensor? Today it was shown that a company had a sensor in a pill you swallow which could be read by a stick-on band aid and down loaded to review diseases like diabetes. Come on Briggs , at least give us throttle body injection like the Cub Cadet XT series with Walbro fuel injection.

Edit:

Attachments

• P1010012 (1).jpg
    P1010012 (1).jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 60
  • P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 58
  • P1010014 (2).jpg
    P1010014 (2).jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some pin- ups in the pines....Interesting you have caused me to look at the linkage rod on the right as you face the front. I think this may be the one you are interested in. It connects at the top to a little crank on a "thru shaft" at the very front of the carb, looks like perhaps a butterfly function? There is another bigger shaft further back on the carb barrel which looks like the main throttle plate? ( I have not had these apart.) Anyway, on the right rod there is a fine wire return spring which is sitting with the upper hook broken off. Look closely and you can see it. This little guy measures .014" wire dia so it cannot do a lot of heavy work, but in my Husqy thread a while back I bitched about surging which stopped after a while. Don't know if that little "watch spring" played a role. If you come across the pn let me know. Also if you need more pics.

Edit: I looked again at your 1st pic of the rod. It has a "pusher" spring on it I don't see on mine. The joyous press release by Briggs on the bi-metallic choke might make a person shake a head as that technology goes back to the 1960's on cars. The "vanes" you mention...are they just one, a temp sensor? Today it was shown that a company had a sensor in a pill you swallow which could be read by a stick-on band aid and down loaded to review diseases like diabetes. Come on Briggs , at least give us throttle body injection like the Kohler low end machine.

AHHhhh yes that broken spring on your throttle link is the one I want to know where it connects up top, ( your piece that broke off )
OH WELL ! I'M guessing that fine spring we are talkin about is P/N 217A in the DIAGRAM (P/N -592585=choke return spring) which being linked to the choke ?? ON THE THROTTLE LINK ???? (somehow just might have had something to do with your surging issue ) about the vane, did you take a look at the diagrams and P/N lists I posted on BOTH threads ?? if not you should go take a close look, I think we both can learn a lot about these 44 SERIES engines, keep me up-dated ..:thumbsup:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Forgot to mention, I ran across a few engine descriptions which I'm still trying to figure out, besides this Ready-Start model, there's ALSO a Choke a Matic, and a Manual Compression Release version equipped engines ..???? I think the Information folks at Briggs & Stratton have their head's up their arse's so far, they'll never see daylight !! ..:confused2:

NOT IN HERE.JPG

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
UP-DATE :
motoman, the part numbers I gave you for the "choke-return spring" may be WRONG ! you stated you have a "pressure-type spring" on your linkage, checking through the parts manual for YOUR engine ( 44N877-0001-G1 ) I noticed it lists the small pressure spring as DIAGRAM # 217 , the long ( your broken spring) # 217A SHOWS in the diagram BUT, there is is NO LISTED P/N for it ..??? These engines are a real "head-scratcher" !!
Also ran across 2 other engine models WITH the thermostat linkage, - - ( 44P777-2448-G1 ) & ( 44P777-0126-G1 ) ..I am NOT going to research THEM, at this time, while I'm trying to figure out these 44R & 44N models that we have.

And to save time and "hoop-jumping" between 2 different, but somewhat related threads, this one, & your "Where's the Platinum" I am going to keep all I find,.. on THIS thread, I hope you don't mind, and I also found mention of the different series.... Intek, Intek-PRO, & Endurance !! Yet so far, it SEEMS they ALL use the same OLD 400000 series engines O/H manual...?? Lots of research to accomplish, taking much time ( now this is where a "split-screen" monitor would come in REALLY handy !! ..( LOL )
as the "terminator" says.. I'll be bok ! ......... :laughing:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
More info,
here's where to get YOUR parts manual motoman..
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/n...ualSearch.html?searchrequested=44n877-0001-g1

Here's info on the Briggs EFI engines you want Briggs to release !

EFI 28 HP.PNG...EFI 37 HP.PNG

other info.

COMM 24 HP.PNG...MOTOMANS ENGINE.PNG...PRO 24 HP.PNG

you can find ( barely ) the engine models in the gray bars under the engines, sorry,guy, you'll have to use your enlarge or zoom to see them well.. but I can only capture a full page view at this size, then it shrinks of course, when I up-load on the site.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the effort, but I think this Vanguard series is port FI and appears in upper end pro series. Think the bare engine is $800+. The Cub Cadets use throttle body FI, but cost a lot less (entry level). I put a feeler in the Cub Cadet forum a while back, and there was some response. The point is ...if Cub Cadet can offer a better system, why cannot Briggs?

Also the insertion point of the little spring you are missing (and which is broken on mine) MUST be the shaft crank which is visible in the pic but in the shadow. I do not have the "pusher" spring. Probably should not say this...my Husqy is now running fine (apparently) without that spring. (horror, is it running too rich all the time...?) I will look at the plugs sometime.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Took the shroud off today, MAN do I have some CLEANING to do !!!
anyway, I wanted to see where my voltage regulator wires were hiding, (found them) and most of all, where the choke return spring might connect to AND ... to check out the VANE !! Gotta remove the flywheel screen, (4) screws then (2) screws in front under the cartridge filter, remove (2) screws to move fuel pump out of the way, THEN loosen several shroud bolts.
NOW remove the shroud, SURPRISE, SURPRISE !! the spring I DON'T have on MY THROTTLE link, is mounted to the VANE, and a mounting post on the intake manifold, so in essence, the VANE ( I assume ) pulls the choke plate fully open as the engine accelerates, I could not find any other springs on any of the linkages other than the governor springs ( which on my engine ) although hooked on, do no movement, also found the THROTTLE link rod rubs on the intake manifold interfering with WOT ! STRANGE !! I need to figure out why the governor arm control (for throttle control) is not working, previous owner has been working on this motor for some reason, AND there is NO information on this, that I can find to date, other than how to adjust the governor ( maybe that's the problem) MORE RESEARCH &^#@$%^&^$$$#@!@# ,,!!! Took some pics, actually I always take a ton of pics, just to CMA, in case a few come out bad, or I get mesmerized by pushing the camera button, I can always DELETE !!

DSCN2714.jpg...DSCN2723.jpg...DSCN2725.jpg...DSCN2726.jpg

DSCN2727.jpg...DSCN2729.jpg...DSCN2730.jpg...DSCN2732.jpg

This must be the correct choke link return set-up for THIS model of engine, or why else would they bother to configure a post on the intake manifold, then pay, to drill the hole in it, and another in the vane..??

DSCN2733.jpg ......... back to the puter !!

Last edited: