HRB217HXA SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW Transmission.

Offramp

Threads
This 2013 vintage mower has been great for the last 14 years except for one reoccurring problem. The transmission moves the mower very slow at start up until the transmission or something else warms up. I don't hear a drive belt squealing so I have convinced myself that the problem is with the hydrostatic transmission. The colder the weather, the longer it takes to speed up slowly. The drive cable is adjusted to the point that the mower has resistance when pulled backwards so I have convinced myself that the problem is not with the drive linkage/cable problem. My first thought is there is a seal(s) inside the transmission leaking and after the fluid warms up the mower speed has slowly picked up a bit. Like a power steering problem I had with a 1980s Ford power steering piston.

This mower has lasted so long because it is not my primary mower. I use it to mow around the trees and flower beds in my yard and then mow the rest of the yard with a much larger mower. I also use this mower to mulch up leaves in the fall as it does a much better job than my rider. But it is slow.

Based on the above symptoms, what do you think is the real problem with the drive and what is needed to fix it up? It starts out moving about 1 MPH and maybe gets up to 2.5 or 3. Its just not moving anywhere close to 4 mph anymore and I'm starting to get bored sauntering around the yard with it.

If you have a parts guide you can send to me or guide me to, I'd be very thankful.

FasterZcar

Forum Newbie
Threads
This 2013 vintage mower has been great for the last 14 years except for one reoccurring problem. The transmission moves the mower very slow at start up until the transmission or something else warms up. I don't hear a drive belt squealing so I have convinced myself that the problem is with the hydrostatic transmission. The colder the weather, the longer it takes to speed up slowly. The drive cable is adjusted to the point that the mower has resistance when pulled backwards so I have convinced myself that the problem is not with the drive linkage/cable problem. My first thought is there is a seal(s) inside the transmission leaking and after the fluid warms up the mower speed has slowly picked up a bit. Like a power steering problem I had with a 1980s Ford power steering piston.

This mower has lasted so long because it is not my primary mower. I use it to mow around the trees and flower beds in my yard and then mow the rest of the yard with a much larger mower. I also use this mower to mulch up leaves in the fall as it does a much better job than my rider. But it is slow.

Based on the above symptoms, what do you think is the real problem with the drive and what is needed to fix it up? It starts out moving about 1 MPH and maybe gets up to 2.5 or 3. Its just not moving anywhere close to 4 mph anymore and I'm starting to get bored sauntering around the yard with it.

If you have a parts guide you can send to me or guide me to, I'd be very thankful.

Since you have the hydrostatic transmission, I would think that the same procedure mentioned in this post might apply to yours.

h t t p : / / w w w .lawnmowerforum. c o m /showthread.php/12986-HRM215-Hydrostatic-Transmission-fluid-change

Honda parts guide

h t t p : / / peparts.honda.com/powerequipment#/browse

Ava.Feret

Threads
I understand this is a old post. I still would check the lever for the speed to see if it is fully moving. Honda changed the lever on the HRB to a different type. They even changed the cable. Just make sure nothing is blocking the lever. This is easier to see on the HRB than the HRX.