B&S 24HP No Fuel Flow

nobbyv

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 24HP B&S on my Craftsman lawn tractor (Part # 4456772188G5). Was running fine today, and then I *think* I ran out of gas. At least, it acted like I had run out of gas (sputtered a bit, then stalled). Foolishly, I didn't note if the tank was ACTUALLY empty before refilling it. Either way, now it won't start. There's no fuel being pulled into the filter itself. I checked the lines from the tank to the filter, the filter to the fuel pump, and the fuel pump to the card, all good. I gave the carb and fuel pump a good soaking with carb cleaner. It did start for a second or two while it burned the carb cleaner, so spark is good. Replaced the fuel filter just to be safe. I pulled the line off the carb side of the fuel pump and cranked the engine. I seemed to get VERY little vacuum when I put my finger over it. What next? Should I expect a noticeable vacuum on the card side of the pump if I put my finger over the line? Or should I be checking on the filter/tank side of the fuel pump?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here are the steps I would go through, an assistant would be helpful if you can find one.
1. Remove the fuel line from the tank side of the pump. Does fuel flow out the line? You might need an assistant or you yourself blow into the tank. This will tell us if fuel is getting from the tank through the filter to the pump.

2. If you have fuel flow, reattach the line and remove the fuel line from the carb. You or your assistant will now crank the engine over to see if fuel is getting from the pump to the carb.

3. If you have fuel flow, reattach the line and try to start the engine. If the engine starts you may have had an air lock in the line. If the engine does not start and you have fuel at the carb, you have a carb problem. You will need to check to see if the float needle is working properly.

Report back with your results and we will go from there. I will not be back on line until this evening, but if you get back to us earlier, someone will chime in.

nobbyv

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like maybe I had some sort of air lock in the hose from the tank to the filter. I pulled it off the filter again, and there was hardly any fuel flow. Removed the gas cap, and fuel started flowing again. Started the mower with the cap off, then reattached it, and all is good.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like maybe I had some sort of air lock in the hose from the tank to the filter. I pulled it off the filter again, and there was hardly any fuel flow. Removed the gas cap, and fuel started flowing again. Started the mower with the cap off, then reattached it, and all is good.

If it happens again, and you have a "vented-cap" I would suspect a clogged vent hole.