Hello

Kalico

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am a newbie to this forum, but not to lawn mowers. Like most folks I have done the whole power mower schtick. Recently I have decided to make a move to manual reel mowers. I bought a Silent YardMan, Model 1010-2 about 18 months ago. I just bought a Silent Scotts, Model 5M9 last month.

I was able to find an Owner's manual for the YardMan online. I need to find a similar manual for the Scotts. I intend to refurbish both mowers to like new condition, if possible. Getting the reels sharpened properly will be a challenge, since I have no idea how to do it myself.

Looking forward to discussing mowers with all the folks on this forum. Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Join a vintage lawnmower club, there are lots of them out there.
Reels need to be razor sharp and dead strait .
This is a highly specialized job.
There are 2 stages,
Grinding - I send them out for grinding because it is way too easy to bugger it up and it can be buggered beyond repair.
Sharpening- this is done by lapping the reel backwards with buckets of lapping paste, not too difficult .

If you are carefull about what you mow over then you might get away with a grind every 10 years or so but that is dependent upon regular lapping.
So the instant you feel resistance to the reel spinning it has to be lapped, people leave it too long & then it needs to be ground.
Just the same as your kitchen knives, strop them every time you use them and they stay razor sharp for years, wait till they go dull and no amount of stropping will bring back the edge.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on that new mower :smile: