Considering replacing my old Cub Cadet 129 with a Kubota...any advice from owners?

three4re

Threads
  • / Considering replacing my old Cub Cadet 129 with a Kubota...any advice from owners?
I'm not familiar with the GR 2020, but I looked it up and it is just a good sturdy lawn tractor. However, at $9k, it seems a bit pricey if all you want to do is mow the yard, and do some occasional blading. I agree that the new Cub Cadets aren't the same as some of the older models. I have a couple of neighbors who have newer CC's, and they both have problems with throwing the deck belt. You might want to check out the Husqvarna mowers....mine is doing real good after 2 years, and I only paid $2k at Lowe's. Even if you went for the top of the line Husq, with attachments, you would still be way below half of what your GR quote was. If your Cub is still in good shape..no rust, etc., you might be money ahead to just put a good engine in it, and keep it.

Thanks for additional thoughts. I checked out pictures of the GR2020 and it looks ok, but has lots of plastic on it and just reminds me of the Sears Craftsman that my Mom used to have. As you say, it looks like a lawn tractor. I always thought of my Cub 129 as being substantially more than that. I will take a look at Husqvarna, being that several people have suggested this to me.

The Cub has no rust..is quite solid for its age...with the only main issues (besides the engine no longer running well) being a constant but fairly minor leak from the transmission, a drain plug that has had issues with some leakage over the years - actually I think this is the third plug to go in there, and, of course, a good amount of oil consumption (which would likely be resolved with a rebuilt engine). Other than that, it has been holding up pretty well. There is some play in the deck spindles, but I guess that is to be expected after 40+ years.

jp1961

Threads
  • / Considering replacing my old Cub Cadet 129 with a Kubota...any advice from owners?
I'd have to agree with ILENGINE recommending upgrading to a subcompact tractor. My Kubota BX2230 has a 3-point hitch, so many implements will work with it. With a garden tractor, you're stuck with that manufactures implements. True, they are more money new, but the only thing I've replaced on my BX2230 is the battery.

I looked at a Cub Cadet subcompact tractor powered by a Daihatsu diesel (the price of the Cub vs the Kubota were almost the exact same and the Cub had plastic fenders and hood), but went with the Kubota, as the Kubota dealer is right down the road from me. Glad I did as Kubota makes great stuff.

The other issue is after Googling images of a Cub Cadet 129, that is an old tractor with possibly an all cast iron engine,,,you won't get nearly the years of service with a new garden tractor, as you got with the 129.

Regards

Jeff

Last edited:

three4re

Threads
I'd have to agree with ILENGINE recommending upgrading to a subcompact tractor. My Kubota BX2230 has a 3-point hitch, so many implements will work with it. With a garden tractor, you're stuck with that manufactures implements. True, they are more money new, but the only thing I've replaced on my BX2230 is the battery.

I looked at a Cub Cadet subcompact tractor powered by a Daihatsu diesel (the price of the Cub vs the Kubota were almost the exact same and the Cub had plastic fenders and hood), but went with the Kubota, as the Kubota dealer is right down the road from me. Glad I did as Kubota makes great stuff.

The other issue is after Googling images of a Cub Cadet 129, that is an old tractor with possibly an all cast iron engine,,,you won't get nearly the years of service with a new garden tractor, as you got with the 129.

Regards

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I'm leaning more and more towards the Kubota. My brother's shop can't seem to pin down the reason for the intermittent poor engine performance, although I don't believe any in-depth valve checking has been done. I know they have the head pulled off at this point. The solution there is undoubtedly to just put in a new engine. While I'm sentimentally attached to the old war horse, not sure it's really worth it. The transmission has been leaking fluid for years, the oil pan bolt has given issues, the spindles and bearings on the deck aren't exactly in the best condition either. I mean, I've used the Cub since '81! The local Kubota dealer has suggested a BX1880V that would come with a 48" deck and 60" HD Front blade...all in for around 13k. I should really go look at them.

jp1961

Threads
Funny,,,I just dropped my wife off at work (an elementary school) and the town has the tractor you mentioned with the front blade and a salt spreader on the back (used for clearing the towns sidewalks).

I know it's tough to depart with a tractor that you used for a long time and have sentimental attachments to, but at some point, you realize you're throwing good money after bad.

Regards

Jeff

jp1961

Threads
Hi, just want to run another option past you and that's have you considered a used Kubota.

I owned a used 2 cylinder Yanmar tractor before the Kubota. It served me well for quite a few years, but only being 2WD it had it's limitations and the only guy selling parts for it was quite a drive away. The Kubota dealer gave me 2500.00 trade in for it and considering the looks of the machine, I think I got the better end of the deal.

The diesel engines do last a long time and buying used might make cents (word play on sense).

Jeff

jp1961

Threads
sorry hit reply twice,,,ignore