Mower
    Farmall

Kohler Magnum 20 Starting problem with video

Hello all,

I have a Kohler Magnum 20 (or 18) powering a mid-90s Vermeer 620 woodchipper. All was running well 1-2 years ago until it sat over a Northeast winter.
    The engine would not move when I tried to start it this summer. I added oil into each cylinder, let it sit, and eventually got the flywheel moving. After replacing the battery, it now cranks well but will not fire. Here's what I've done:

-Swapped out the gas and tank with fresh fuel and a clean pony tank with a new filter.
    -Cleaned (fairly well) carb: removed rust and stains. Gasket is not in great condition but it seems to still provide a good seal. I have not adjusted any needles or screws.
    -Used starting fluid sparingly (4-5 times); would fire but not start.
    -Tested sparkplugs (two different types of plugs): both sparked, small, but still a spark.

As the video shows, there is oil spitting out the breather tube (dirty, too). I assume because there is too much oil in the cylinder from freeing it up. I removed the breather tube cap and gasket while starting in the video. I am going to change the oil next. Not sure what else to do.

I have successfully tinkered with some small engines in the past but I am far from an expert. Looking forward to utilizing this great resource. Thanks for all your advice!

I'm too new to post a link so bear with the copy, paste, and edit.

video: youtu [.] be/vkaayfp5IuE

-Buz
    Last edited by buzbo; 12-04-2017 at 11:22 PM.

Mower
    MTD - Yard-Man

Re: Kohler Magnum 20 Starting problem with video

Hi buzbo, let me start off by saying welcome to the forum.
    First thing first, the experts on this site will need your make and model number. Its stamped on one of your valve covers. I am not one of the experts, but a tinkerer like yourself. I retired 6 months ago and needed to rebuild my 25hp briggs so I joined this forum and started watching vidios on google. Now after the rebuild she runs like new. Make use of both of those and you will never have a small engine in the shop.
    Thats my advice now to your engine. Use gas instead of starter fluid to avoid the chance of engine damage. I would start with checking the pushrods and valve adjustment. There are some very good vidios on google if you dont know how. As I am unfamilar with your engine I dont know if it has a fuel siloniod on the carb, but if it does check the operation of it.(google) After doing this hook jumper cables to it and try to start again, several times. If it doesnt start pull plugs and clean if they are wet with oil. With plugs out turn engine over to clear cylinders. Reinstall plugs and try to start again. If this doesnt work, post again and give us a update.

Mower
    Victa slashers & Push , Rover Rancher II's, Cox ( several ) & White LT120 + GT 200

Quote Originally Posted by buzbo View Post
    Hello all,

I have a Kohler Magnum 20 (or 18) powering a mid-90s Vermeer 620 woodchipper. All was running well 1-2 years ago until it sat over a Northeast winter.
    The engine would not move when I tried to start it this summer. I added oil into each cylinder, let it sit, and eventually got the flywheel moving. After replacing the battery, it now cranks well but will not fire. Here's what I've done:

-Swapped out the gas and tank with fresh fuel and a clean pony tank with a new filter.
    -Cleaned (fairly well) carb: removed rust and stains. Gasket is not in great condition but it seems to still provide a good seal. I have not adjusted any needles or screws.
    -Used starting fluid sparingly (4-5 times); would fire but not start.
    -Tested sparkplugs (two different types of plugs): both sparked, small, but still a spark.

As the video shows, there is oil spitting out the breather tube (dirty, too). I assume because there is too much oil in the cylinder from freeing it up. I removed the breather tube cap and gasket while starting in the video. I am going to change the oil next. Not sure what else to do.

I have successfully tinkered with some small engines in the past but I am far from an expert. Looking forward to utilizing this great resource. Thanks for all your advice!

I'm too new to post a link so bear with the copy, paste, and edit.

video: youtu [.] be/vkaayfp5IuE

-Buz
    firstly your link is all messed up so you might like to try to upload the URL again.

Next use a teaspoon of fuel down the carb throat.
    If it runs through the fuel, should be 10 to 15 seconds then you can assume that the engine is OK and you have a fuel supply problem to the carb.
    If your engine has a fuel solenoid, check that it is working by replacing it with a bolt.
    Runs ok = dodgy solenoid or wiring to it.

Give it a whirl & get back.

Mower
    Farmall

Thank you for your advice.

As I'm new- I cannot post a direct link. If you want to watch the video you have to remove the brackets and tighten it up.

I will try the fuel in carb next. Even if the oil is bad (dirty/too much), it should still fire up which narrows it down to a fuel or carb problem--correct?