Kohler Magnum 20 Starting problem with video

buzbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great information, thanks. Now that I've had some time to dedicate to it, it has been a fun little project. Very satisfying when it started and ran strong today. It even survived engaging the clutch for the spinning-knife-death-wheel. Now to investigate why the feeder is not engaging..

After tinkering more today, the disappearing gas was definitely an illusion from the tank. The spare tank seems to be working just fine until I can get the new pump. The smoke issue has also cleared up. So far I've changed the oil about 5 times. It's still dirty and very gray, less watery/more oily. I wonder if the old filter (been on for several years) is doing more harm than good?

I'm also not certain whether I should adjust the new carb. I haven't made any adjustments. It seems to run fine--though the throttle / governor sounds like its set low--I recall being able to rev higher.

This is one resilient little engine. From sitting and seized a few months ago it's great bringing it back from the dead.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, please change the filter.
Any mower filter will fit and the briggs one will be cheaper than the Kohler.
All the after market companies do a full range of mower filters @ about 1/2the price of the brand name ones
Get some of that Gray oil and wash it with some fuel then let it sit for a little while.
Pour off the oil / fuel mix enough to leave the grey in the bottom
Rub it between your fingers.
If it just feels slimey then it is just water.
If it feels grainy then it could be aluminium.

buzbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure why that wasn't more obvious: installed new filter= clean oil... duh!

Question about the carburetor adjustment: I haven't made any adjustments to the replacement carb. Should I? Not sure why, but now engine cranks, fires, and runs for a few seconds before grumbling out. This is with low throttle. Any adjustment to the throttle/choke and it would sound like it wanted to rev up but instead it shutdown. Gas supply is good.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like it is starving out.
If there is an idle jet open it out a bit.

buzbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I've backed out the idle screw to set the idle as low as possible with no luck. I've also screwed it in to set the idle higher to see if it would fire and run. The main jet needle is set to two full turns in. I had it running for close to a minute with the choke out/half-way. Ultimately it shut down and I'm unable to get it running again.

A few drops of fuel in the intake will fire, run for 2-5 seconds, and putter out. I don't see any obstruction in the fuel supply. Engine was running well a few days ago-- but I shut it down because the oil was still watery. Now the oil is clean with a new filter, but I'm back to a carb problem..