New JD 738 with 54" deck.

zr2blz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got new unit on 11-13 and did a quick pass on our mowing area. What took us 4-5 hours with the 22" was done in 1 hr 15 min with new mower :thumbsup:. So far, I put on the mulch kit and then put the mower under our JD 851 gator. Next I put 11 gallons of -20 degree window washer in each read tires. Today I got more gallons to also put it in the front tires, I will update this file when I do with how many gallons.

So that its it for now till spring returns, we didn't get any snow remove equipment as the JD 3320 and Honda ATV does the snow work on our .3 mile drive way.

TJR345

Threads
Nice tractor,have to ask though why fill the tires if all your doing is mowing.

zr2blz

Forum Newbie
Threads
We live on side of steep hills. Its feels safer with weight in tires. The 3320 has 33 gallons in each rear tire. Yesterday I put only 3 gallons in front tires, the x738 is all wheel drive. I'll try get picture next time I take it out of garage of the angle.

zr2blz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here picture of my greatest angle when I will be mowing.

Attachments

• IMG_6865.jpg
    IMG_6865.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 11

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not trying to tell grandma how to suck eggs but you need to be really careful when you mow slopes because at some lean angles the oil pump is out of the oil.
This is of course nowhere near as big a problem on Horizontal shafts as it is on vertical shafts as the former have deeper sumps.
However it would be worthwhile to pull the dip stick at the most extreme angle you mow and check the level of the oil in the crankcase.
Make your imaginary horizontal line across the engine to work out what the oil level is on the other side of the crank.
If it does not come at least 1/2" up the other side then you stand a good chance of siezure if driving along that slope for extended periods depending upon exactly where the oil pick up is on your engine.

It is quite hilly around here and I have replaced way more engines than I should have because owners have driven them that little bit too far along the side a steep slope.( Me included )
Most of them can get away with it by mowing the slope in shorter blocks so the engine is not running low oil for extended periods.

There is a steep compound slope I mow and had been doing it without problems for years with a particular rough cut mower as it is a street verge.
Did it with a different mower and had a partial seizure.
As a mower mechanic, when ever there is a power loss I shut down instantly then have a look to see what is going on.
On this mower, the fuel is gravity fed so the tank outlet had to be above the carb but unfortunately that put the oil pump on the uphill side of the crank so it was relying on splash from the counterweight, not good.

zr2blz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good plan, I will check more next spring. I've parked JD in garage with cover on till then.

swiffer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Very nice tractor! I love the x700 series...beautiful.