Buy a new cub or try and fix up my 129 hydrostatic?

three4re

Threads
  • / Buy a new cub or try and fix up my 129 hydrostatic?
My opinion, skip the garden tractors and consider a small sub compact diesel tractor like a Kubota BX or John Deere, Massey, LS, Yanmar, Kioti, Etc., Etc.
Easily out work a garden tractor and last much longer.

Undoubtedly a good idea which I had not considered, with the exception that (unless I'm mistaken), don't the prices for the Kubota compact tractors start close to $12k? The BX 1870 appears to be listed at $11,900. Certainly something to think about. One of my relatives has used one for years....uncertain as to what model, but I know his has a front end loader with it. I have little familiarity with them but there is a local dealer that I could check out. Thanks for the advice....

Just checked out the Kubota site after posting. What about possibly just going with one of their tractors? What is the advantage of the compacts / sub-compacts? My needs are basically to mow about an acre of lawn, along with also doing some mowing in a bit more uneven terrain in a partially wooded area where I maintain walking / hiking paths, towing a utility cart that I use for transporting brush and hedge clippings, etc., and for plowing snow (sometimes fairly heavy, drifted amounts in my driveway). Funny that I've not considered this before...guess I am fixated on Cub Cadet either for keeping mine alive or even buying new. From what I've been reading, I really think I should rule out buying a new Cub. I'm just put off by all the bad reviews and complaints. I'll need to do more research on Kubota. For one thing, it appears they are all diesel engines.

Last edited:

DK35vince

Threads
The compact or sub compact tractors are built much heavier in nearly every way vs a garden tractor. Properly maintained should easily last thousands of hours.
3 point hitch in the rear
4 wheel drive in most models
Optional front end loader (once you have one you will wonder how you got by without one, they are that handy)
Much heavier duty mower decks and attachments vs a garden tractor
Power take off for running other attachments (tillers, snow blowers, mowers, post hole diggers, Etc.)
They are more $$ than a garden tractor, but well worth the difference in price IMO.

three4re

Threads
The compact or sub compact tractors are built much heavier in nearly every way vs a garden tractor. Properly maintained should easily last thousands of hours.
3 point hitch in the rear
4 wheel drive in most models
Optional front end loader (once you have one you will wonder how you got by without one, they are that handy)
Much heavier duty mower decks and attachments vs a garden tractor
Power take off for running other attachments (tillers, snow blowers, mowers, post hole diggers, Etc.)
They are more $$ than a garden tractor, but well worth the difference in price IMO.

It all sounds good. As I said, this is an option I had not considered. I really should visit the local dealer and look at them. I think I've pretty much ruled out buying a new Cub. And I have been wondering what I'd replace my old Cub with if I decide not to pursue any additional repairs. Thanks again...all very helpful info.

DK35vince

Threads
Can't hurt to look.
I think you will like what you see in the sub compacts.

three4re

Threads
Can't hurt to look.

I'll make it a point to do more research on them, visit the dealer, and also talk to my relative who has one.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
LOL...talk about telling it "like it is"! Tempted to go for the rebuilt. A guy on another forum also told me that he has no love for MTD, which, of course, now makes Cubs along with a crapload of other brands. I had no idea. IH stopped making Cubs back in '81 already.

In all seriousness, what makes you say that? I mean, I've been hearing from others that the quality is no longer there. Is it an issue with MTD in general, or something specific to how the new Cubs are made that is of much lower quality, or perhaps both?
What makes me say that?
All the busted knuckles i have. Nuts and bolts in impossible to reach places, I have '10 ltx1040, in 2011 we had to replace a blown head gasket, the lower shaft seal was leaking, the steering gear broke right in two and the starter was crap after a few months. The battery doesn't stay charged (might be the battery ,but its BRAND SPANKIN' NEW) I have to rebuild the pretty much ENTIRE deck. I just mow once a week, and i go E A S Y on it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All the busted knuckles i have. Nuts and bolts in impossible to reach places, I have '10 ltx1040, in 2011
we had to replace a blown head gasket, A Kohler problem not an MTD one
the lower shaft seal was leaking, Again a Kohler problem not an MTD one
the steering gear broke right in two This is a MTD problem
and the starter was crap after a few months. Again a Kohler problem not an MTD one
The battery doesn't stay charged (might be the battery ,but its BRAND SPANKIN' NEW) Could be either one to blame.

I have to rebuild the pretty much ENTIRE deck. I just mow once a week, and i go E A S Y on it.
Rebuild ?

The only problem I come upon regularly with Cubs, I have with every other mower that fits a wash out port
People wash it out then leave to hot spindles to suck all the water into the bearings.
Toro are the worst for this but Cub run a close second.

Not meaning to sound condesending but you only get what you pay for and the 1040 is just about the bottom end of the range.
The new Cub range is not a patch on the old range, no arguement about that but again they are a lot cheaper.

I think MTD are having problems about what to do with Cub.
AFAIK Cub is still a stand alone brand, made in a stand alone factory and MTD's uses it as the research & design division.
One year they are all excellent value top line products then the following few years they go to pot as if MTD can not decide if Cub will be the leading brand or the loss leader brand.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
All the busted knuckles i have. Nuts and bolts in impossible to reach places, I have '10 ltx1040, in 2011
we had to replace a blown head gasket, A Kohler problem not an MTD one
the lower shaft seal was leaking, Again a Kohler problem not an MTD one
the steering gear broke right in two This is a MTD problem
and the starter was crap after a few months. Again a Kohler problem not an MTD one
The battery doesn't stay charged (might be the battery ,but its BRAND SPANKIN' NEW) Could be either one to blame.

I have to rebuild the pretty much ENTIRE deck. I just mow once a week, and i go E A S Y on it.
Rebuild ?

The only problem I come upon regularly with Cubs, I have with every other mower that fits a wash out port
People wash it out then leave to hot spindles to suck all the water into the bearings.
Toro are the worst for this but Cub run a close second.

Not meaning to sound condesending but you only get what you pay for and the 1040 is just about the bottom end of the range.
The new Cub range is not a patch on the old range, no arguement about that but again they are a lot cheaper.

I think MTD are having problems about what to do with Cub.
AFAIK Cub is still a stand alone brand, made in a stand alone factory and MTD's uses it as the research & design division.
One year they are all excellent value top line products then the following few years they go to pot as if MTD can not decide if Cub will be the leading brand or the loss leader brand.

If i remember correctly the dealer said " as we loaded it on the trailer, " You won't be disappointed with this cub, It's Top of the line, with the newest Kohler engine released, this unit will last you forever" I now know i was L I E D to. And by re build i mean, everything new, except the deck itself , pulleys springs etc. But it could just be age. Stupid dealer was a smart aleck.

Attachments

• screen-shot-2014-02-03-at-6-52-10-pm.png
    screen-shot-2014-02-03-at-6-52-10-pm.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 5

three4re

Threads
Can't hurt to look.

The local Kubota dealer has suggested replacing my Cub 129 with a Kubota GR2020. I looked at pictures of this and it just looks like another lawn tractor with lots of plastic on it. Would this model be a worthy replacement for my Cub? I'm sure the GR2020 is a good machine, but it just reminds me of the Sears Craftsman that my Mom had the past few years.

DK35vince

Threads
The local Kubota dealer has suggested replacing my Cub 129 with a Kubota GR2020. I looked at pictures of this and it just looks like another lawn tractor with lots of plastic on it. Would this model be a worthy replacement for my Cub? I'm sure the GR2020 is a good machine, but it just reminds me of the Sears Craftsman that my Mom had the past few years.
I'm just not a fan of the newer garden tractors I've seen.(not that I've paid much attention to them lately)
Personally I would bite the bullet and get a sub compact tractor that would last and be done with it. More $$ but just so much better built and diesel which is a big + IMO.
But that's just my opinion, you will have to decide what you want and can afford.