Buying Advice 820 Grasshopper

wolfey01

Threads
I have an opportunity to purchase an 820 Grasshopper but can find zero info on it. The Mower shop website doesn't list one. Supposedly it is an 1984. Anybody? Also my current project of restoring a 1622 model (1985) is progressing nicely. Drives rebuilt, and frame painted and all wiring redone. Engine rebuilt as an 18hp because it was cheaper (by over $500.00) to buy a 18hp cylinder case and found NOS complete parts from crank to valves. Pictures as soon as painting is done! probably next spring. Anyhow, Thanks and if anyone can help I appreciate it!

BWH

Threads
Wolfey 01

I believe you have the numbers wrong as Grasshopper never made a 800 series. Possibly its a 620T or a 720 which I think were made from 1992 until the early 2000's in various models. Do you have access to the machine to get the serial number that will tell the model & year.

wolfey01

Threads
I'm sure you are correct. I'm starting to think this may be an 1822 and the decal is rubbed off from getting too close to objects. What is also puzzling is that they say this is a 1984 model and the oldest Grasshopper I have seen is a 1985! There is also a Woods 1850 they say is from the mid 90s with a snow blower but no deck. I know grasshopper produced zero turn mowers for the Woods Corp but cant find any real specs on that either. Next step is to call Grasshopper and ask them. Thanks!

Fragger

Threads
That is always a good choice, can you get us some progression pictures on your other project , you know like before and after .....:thumbsup:
I'm sure you are correct. I'm starting to think this may be an 1822 and the decal is rubbed off from getting too close to objects. What is also puzzling is that they say this is a 1984 model and the oldest Grasshopper I have seen is a 1985! There is also a Woods 1850 they say is from the mid 90s with a snow blower but no deck. I know grasshopper produced zero turn mowers for the Woods Corp but cant find any real specs on that either. Next step is to call Grasshopper and ask them. Thanks!

BWH

Threads

I owned a 1600 Grasshopper which I believe was a 1980 model, it was pale lime green and brown. It was a great mower for 1980 that I owned until 1994 the thing about it was to change the deck height you had to add or remove spacers in the front deck wheels. The 1600 was before the hydro's were directly connected to the rims and used jack-shafts with four sprockets to come up with the correct speed and torque at the wheels. As the sprockets wore it could be challenging to keep the chains tight so they would not jump off. Needless to say they were somewhat high maintenance compared to the direct drive models of today. Don't get me wrong, that 48" cut with the single cylinder Briggs&Stratten connected to a zero turn was the class of mowers plus a zero turn back then sure raised the eye brows in the neighborhood.

Fun to go down memory lane but haven't we come a long ways to the 61"/ 25HP Grasshopper Diesel with suspension seat I use today.