Kobalt 40v dual blade change

jvallee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hopefully someone can help me... I went to change the blades on my Kobalt 40 volt dual blade mower after researching which way to turn the nuts and which one was blade one and which one was Blade 2. I was able to successfully change Blade 2.

However when I went to loosen the nut on blade 1 it backed off about an eighth of an inch then something loosened, and I was left with the nut turning with the bolt (shaft?) with the blade blocked in place.

With the blade insulator and spacer still in place as well as the blade and the plastic key part behind it and the washer spacer behind that there is no room for me to grab the shaft and back the nut off. The only way I see to get any room is to cut the blade insulator off. It is plastic and I should be able to cut it but I would prefer not to.

I tried to attach a video but I see that I cannot.

Any ideas on how else to approach this?

MowerMike

Threads
The Kobalt twin blade mower is the same as the Greenworks Twin Force, so the blade nuts should be threaded the same with Blade I (forward) unscrewing counterclockwise and Blade II (rearward) unscrewing clockwise. So assuming this is how you are loosening the nuts, then the problem may be damaged threads on the motor shaft which are causing the nut to bind. Since you are unable grip the motor shaft underneath the blade, you might try using an impact wrench to remove the nut. If that doesn’t work, your only choice may be to cut the nut off the shaft, and use a die to recut the shaft threads.

jvallee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you know what holds the blade onto the shaft? It must have something otherwise it would spin around the shaft instead of with it.

MowerMike

Threads
Do you know what holds the blade onto the shaft? It must have something otherwise it would spin around the shaft instead of with it.

There is a plastic piece that is attached to the shaft with keys that prevent the blade from slipping. The nut serves to attach the blade to this plastic piece. If the plastic piece is a loose fit or stripped, it may explain why the motor shaft is turning when you turn the nut while holding the blade.

jvallee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got it. I think I can cut that off instead of the insulator and just order a new one. I had ordered the insulator piece.... it was $2.50 plus $8 SHIPPING. I'll cancel it and order the other piece.

Thank you ever so much!!!!