Recommendations!?!? Recently resowed backyard in fescue. Two month update.

qwerty11

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Recommendations!?!? Recently resowed backyard in fescue. Two month update.
As the title says, I just resowed my backyard with fescue. I killed the previous grass, tilled everything and replanted. Now, two months in, I think things are decent. I just cut it for the first time to mulch the leaves. I have a few questions.

I have another type of weed coming up that looks like a clover, but not really. What is it, and what should I do about it at this point?

I have a few spots that are barren, or not highly saturated with fescue. Should I reseed it now, or wait until the spring.

Should I be putting any fertilizer on it at this point? It looks nice and luscious.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now is the time for weed and feed. I would not add seed again until next spring.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The broadleaf weed coming up is probably from dormant seed that was stirred up by tilling. Wait until Spring to see what it does. It may die out by itself or the grass may crowd it out.

You can, but I wouldn't worry about re-seeding now. The bare spots may fill in without doing anything. If not, you can touch them up in the Spring. FWIW, you can sow fescue seed any time of the year. One of my favorite times is before a snow because the melting snow does a good job of working the seed into the soil. Don't know if you get much snow in Alabama, though.

Alabama may have different fertilizing requirements than where I live, but for those who don't water, the most important time to fertilize Fescue here is September and the next most important time is November. If you fertilize any other time and don't get rain or water, you run the risk of burning up your grass. For Fescue, the recommended application rate is 1 lb of nitrogen per 1,000 square feet of grass. 43,560 square feet per acre, so you need 43.5 lbs of nitrogen per acre. Better to put on too little than too much, so you might cut that back to 40 lb/acre. Cut the spread rate in half and apply in two passes, one North-South and the other East-West.

The fertilizer you put on now goes into building the root system and the grass is headed into a low-growth period.

Most county agricultural extension offices are able to tell you what you need to do with your grass or they can point you to who can. I know of two universities who have information online about grass--Kansas State and Ohio. I wouldn't be surprised if Auburn and Alabama have equally good info online.

Edit to add: To figure out how much Nitrogen a bag of fertilizer contains, just multiply the net weight of the bag by the first percentage in the description. For example, a 50 lb bag of 13-13-13 contains 6.5 lbs of Nitrogen. A 50 lb bag of 8-32-16 contains 4 lbs. A 50 lb bag of Urea (46-0-0) contains 23 lbs. The higher the nitrogen content in a bag, the lower your cost will be. I just bought 300 lb of Urea (46-0-0) but you have to be careful spreading this stuff.

free_safety

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bet the OP can't wait until spring