Mtd rider mower problem

Jb69

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone, I’m new to the site and this is my first post so...please excuse the mistakes, I’ve been working on push mowers for about a year now and I’m trying to work on my first rider mower, my problem is the mower doesn’t change speeds, it’s a Mtd model number 13A1762F029 and serial number 1D228B40033 with the variable speed pulley, I’ve removed the pulley and it seems to work fine, the belts look O.K. but the clutch pedal wasn’t engaging the variable speed except in park, I seen a YouTube video on how to make sure the adjustments were right by starting it, depress the brake, put it in 6 gear letting off the brake, depressing it again, then shutting off the mower, when I do that the variable speed pulley should be tight on the top and loose on the bottom.....but mine is tight on the bottom and loose on top. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m betting your variable speed pulley is frozen in the bottom position. If you look it up on a parts diagram you’ll notice the assembly has three main parts, top, middle, and bottom. The middle part moves up & down, changing the speed. You can free up this part, but as someone who has never worked on tractors before I wouldn’t recommend it without a partner and lots more f patience.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our MTD section.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check VS pulley as Rivets suggests.
If you find the center section of the variable speed mechanism moves up and down freely,
then your problem may be:
1.Drive belt/belts are worn out
2.Drive belt engagement mechanism(s) require adjustment
3.Engine pulley worn out
4.Belt slack mechanisms may require repair, adjustment or may have broken springs

Just a few things to check....

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is an OLD link for MTD manuals, scroll WAY down to BOOKS # 2 & 3 , you may find your help in them, I have the Variable Speed "Variator-Pulley" on my Big Murray which is similar, but not the same , anyway, check in these manuals to see if the pulley is covered,

https://support.mtdparts.com/s/article/10584-1

I just took a quick peek, see book (# 3 SECTION # 4-7) it's in there, hoping this helps, ALSO you may want to save this link, as to the fact MTD has given their Manuals over to a 3rd party to handle now, so you probably will NOT find this info, on MTD's site any longer .

Barebuttminer

Threads
Here is an OLD link for MTD manuals, scroll WAY down to BOOKS

Thanks Boo;
Link has the books I've been looking for my upcoming transaxle repair on my MTD 15.5/42.
BBM
My 15.5/42 DSC00933.jpg

Luffydog

Threads
Spring could be off the top to.

Barebuttminer

Threads
Your "sweetie" is gonna beat your arse when she finds the bed-pillows on that tractor seat !! ..

View attachment 36110

Actually I’m thinking that an old couch cushion may be better than a bed pillow. I May be able to find one of those lying in the ditch along the road.
I’m more concerned about her finding out that I used her oven to bake on the paint on the spindles that I’m rebuilding.
BBMOld spindles.jpgOld spindles2.jpgRebuilt Spindles.jpgRebuilt Spindles2.jpgRebuilt Spindles3.jpg