Tiger Cat II - Overkill for Homeowner?

BobbyV43

Threads
I've done a lot of research and decided that i'd like to pick up a Tiger Cat II with a 52" decl to mow my 2 acres. I don't plan on buying until closer to spring, but I stopped at a couple local dealers recently and both told me that the Tiger Cat is overkill for my needs. They tried to steer me towards a Liberty Z or a Hustler Raptor. My neighbor has a Hustler Raptor SD and he let me try it out and I thought it felt cheap. He seemed to be happy with it, but I like to buy things that will last. That being said, am I being unreasonable thinking that the Tiger Cat II is the right machine for me? Money isn't a factor in this decision and I'm willing to spend up to 10k for a nice mower. I just don't want to completely waste my money on something that isn't appropriate for me.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is way overkill. From Scag's site "capable of handling more than 24 acres per day" With that said buy what makes you feel right. That mower will last you a lifetime with proper maintenance.

DK35vince

Threads
If you want a solid machine to last for decades then it is not overkill.
If you buy a lesser mower and are not happy with it and need to buy again, you didn't save a thing (actually cost you $$).
Buy the one you want the first time.

I have a 35 HP Hustler Super Z with 72" deck for my 8 acre lawn and wouldn't want anything less.
My first zero turn I wanted a Super Z but didn't want to spend that much money, so I bought a Hustler FasTrac 54". (nice mower, just to small and underpowered for my big lawn)
Within a few years I wanted bigger, stronger, faster that would last me for many, many years, so I ended up selling at a loss to buy the Super Z I wanted and should have gotten in the first place it would have been cheaper

Bmgillum

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think you should buy what you want...you are not going to be happy with a lesser machine...I have a yard which is about 3/4 of an acre and a field across the road that is about 3+ acres that I mow weekly...three years ago I bought a Tiger Cat with a 61” deck and a chore turned into something I look forward to...after three years of mowing I have 230 hours on it and could not be happier...

Go with the Tiger Cat - it is a beast and you will love it...

Cheers/bg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Back in 1966 the rover mowers I currently use costed 6 months salary
I am still using them today so you get what you pay for and nothing more.
Back in 1998 here was a big bushfire in the area I service.
One of my customers bought a Honda 4120 which cost the same as a small 2 seater car.
The only thing he has replaced on this mower other than normal service items is the front steering bushes and the throttle switch.
The mower currently has 2100 hours on it.
His son bought the top line Murray and the Murray is totally worn out a 600 hours.
It cost 1/3 of the Honda

BobbyV43

Threads
I just really like th size and comfort of the Tiger Cat. Sat on a few homeowner grade mowers and they weren’t nearly as comfortable or beefy. I’m a firm believer in the adage “you get what you pay for.”

Sweats

Threads
My wife and I bought a TCII with a 61" deck this past spring. We mow upwards of 5 acres (4.8 but who's counting?) weekly. If I had two acres to mow, I'd still get the TCII but I'd get the 52" deck; it's lighter and I wonder sometimes if the 61" deck will push the structural limits of the TCII frame over time. Anyway, the smaller Skags are great machines, don't get me wrong, but the TCII gives you a couple of advantages you just won't see on those smaller models. That seat, oh that seat; it's the same one as on the TTII and it's a doozy. Once you have your weight dialed in you're all set. The Velocity Plus deck is incredible. The discharge chute is cavernous and the clippings exit so cleanly that the deck rarely accumulates enough debris to even bother cleaning out (a little around the spindles sometimes but not much). Can't advise on the engine size as I have nothing to compare to. Ultimately, if you're not concerned about the price, I believe the TCII is a good fit for a couple of acres and a long-term commitment.

mcdonell

Threads
My son just bought a TC2 with 54 inch cut, Kawasaki motor, just last month. He mows his 1 acre and his 1 acre rent house next door. He upgraded from a murry mower. He loves the TC2 and the time it saves him.

i have a 3 yr old Scag Cheetah with a 61" cut and 27 hp Kawasaki motor. I mow 3 acres. The dealer thought it was overkill for my yard. I believe you get what you pay for so it is not a waste of money. I also want to get my mowing done fast. If I was going to do it all over, I would get the Turf Tiger. :)

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You should be able to cut two acres in about an hour with it and it will quite possibly be the last mower you ever need to buy. When you look at it from that perspective. No it is not over kill at all. I have three Tiger Cats with the Kawasaki motors on them. If there was anything that I found sold locally that would out cut one I would own it. They are as good as it gets.

Don't let folks fool you into buying something that they really do not know what they are telling you. If they are running things like you said above they are not comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

The Tiger Cat is the best buy out there when it is all said and done.

John R

Threads
I cut about 2 acres per week, the Tiger Cat II, with a 61 inch deck was the mower of choice for me.
I like to go over kill on my equipment, makes it last for a long time.
Your money, your choice.
I don't think you'll ever be sorry for buying a Tiger Cat.