Carburetor Leaking Gas

billy3p

Threads
It has been a while since my last post about my mower. In that time I removed the carb,cleaned it as suggested by watching the suggested youtube video and replaced both the float seat and needle valve.First time out the mower operated fine except for seeming to maintain somewhat of a higher than what I thought a normal operating sped would be without being under a heavy load. Just used it for the second time yesterday and more issues. About halfway through mowing my yard the speed started to fluctuate up and down as if the engine was starving for fuel. Checked and found plenty of gas in the tank. Took 8 to 10 pulls to get the engine started again and again the same up/down engine rpm issue. Finished mowing and with the engine stopped gas started flowing out the carb are at the primer bulb. I tapped the bowl of the carb with a screwdriver handle and the gas flow stopped. The only thing not replaced inside the carb is the float itself and a reed valve if it has one. I got this mower ffee and it is in all but new condition.I hate to give up on it so any further advice is appreciated.

Threads
No reed valves in that carb...... Something is still not right with that carb.... A racing engine and or surging could be your governor.....

Since is was free some body else might have played with it..........

Let know Mon Ami ~!~!

billy3p

Threads
While no certainty as for someone doing something to the mower before I got it,I did get it from the original owner who appeared to have had it serviced by a repair shop as evidenced by black felt pen writing on one side of the air filter to indicate the owner.Why write there I haven't a clue.The original owner did say I might have to clean the carb due to the mower having sat unused and I assume with gas in the unit for a full year.

billy3p

Threads
So here is the latest update. I looked back and can't find mentioning in any of my previous posts that the carb bowl has a dent in it. After talking with a nephew who has worked on small and other engines for many years. I also mentioned the governor linkage being in the hole on top of the carb that did not have a plastic grommet in it. .He suggested I knock the dent in the bowl out as much as possible and move the linkage to the hole with the grommet. I am probably going to jinx myself but last time i used the mower it primed without leaking gas,started quite easily and ran smoothly the entire time.Moreover,I intentionally put the fuel level so it would run out so i would have to add more before finishing the job to see if the previous issues about gas leaking and engine barely starting then stopping would happen as before. They did not and the engine started and ran fine until I finished. I would have never thought the float could be possibly sticking due to the dent because I could hear it falling to whichever side was down when I had the carb off and flipped it from upright to upside down. Guess i will know more next time i mow but if tapping out the dent solved my problem then I am delighted. I will probably replace the bowl sooner than later simply because it will nag me to know it is not round as it should be.

Thanks to Boudreaux in Eunice LA and others who have freely given their thoughts and suggestions.I hope i can learn enough to do the same.

Last edited:
Threads
Billy thanks for the reply......... Glad you got it going ............ I don't see a post about a dented bowl either.....

If you had the linkage in the wrong hole yes it will race or act funny ........... Ok I have a link to a vid on your carb on taking it off and putting it back on....... Skip the video to the 14:00 mark

Now this might not be your carb with an EZ start auto choke..... So disregard the choke part.... See how he takes the carb off at 15:02 ......

That is the hole you want... Some carbs have 2 holes on them, you want to put the linkage in the outside hole.... Then he shows the bowl nut cleaning also .............

https://youtu.be/YAqVcdZOZE4

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

wpollock

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the video Boudreaux. The linkage running from the carb to the governor on my engine has a different configuration than that on the engine in the video. Amazing that Briggs builds so many different engine models within the same class/hp. I am attaching a picture of mine just for show. When I originally took the carb off to clean it the linkage was in the hole on top without the plastic grommet. After several times removing the carb to try to determine why gas would flood at odd times and why the engine would race,run as if it had no power and ultimately die,I moved the linkage to the hole with the grommet. Now maybe it is in the wrong hole now and the big problem was the float somehow sticking to the bowl just enough to cause the fuel supply to fluctuate not allowing enough supply while running and then flooding when off. I guess I would not know unless I were to put the linkage back in the hole without the plastic grommet and see how the engine speed runs. If the engine continues to operate normally next time I mow I am inclined to leave things as they are.

Best,

Billy

Attachments

• P1010849.jpg
    P1010849.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 4