John Deere 140

hrdman2luv

Threads
Does anyone have a simple diagram of how to install a push button start on an old John Deere 140. It's got points. An old car type coil with positive on one side, negative on the other.

It has the Kohler engine. Round air filter on the side.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put this in google and watch some videos.
"how to install push button start on lawn mower"

hrdman2luv

Threads
Put this in google and watch some videos.
"how to install push button start on lawn mower"

I did. But they didn't show anything about an external coil or points. Wanna make sure I don't fry any of those things.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
None of that maters. You are adding a simple momentary switch. Same as the key switch. Only difference is you will not need a key.

hrdman2luv

Threads
OK, I wired it up just like the diagram showed. But still nothing when I push the button. I even switched the push button wire to the other bottom post on the solenoid. And still nothing.

hrdman2luv

Threads
OK, I wired it up just like the diagram showed. But still nothing when I push the button. I even switched the push button wire to the other bottom post on the solenoid. And still nothing.

Different solenoid, (4 post) wired the left side to itself. Cranks now, but still no spark. New coil and condenser. I get 12v on both neg. and pos. side with the toggle switch on.

K321AS is the model number

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Different solenoid, (4 post) wired the left side to itself. Cranks now, but still no spark. New coil and condenser. I get 12v on both neg. and pos. side with the toggle switch on.

K321AS is the model number

This is a std kettering ignition so start by connecting the coil directly to the battery.
Every time you make & break the contact you should get a spark.
A small one when you make contact and a large one when you break.
If you don't get this happening the coil is duff.

Next test the points
Disconnect the condenser and hook up a test lamp from the + to the points wire.
now rotate the engine. the lamp should go off every time the points open, if not you have the point installed wrong ( check insulating washers )

Finally test condenser by hooking back to the points.
You should get the same results.